Do you think political candidates should be banned from mentioning their competition in ads?

It was obviously bad with the presidential candidates running their opposition's name through the mud. Even my local governers spent so much time talking about how horrible the other one was, that I never even knew anything about either. Do you think it would be better if they could only talk themselves up, not talk the other down?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It  shouldn't be banned, but I think it would show quite a bit more class if they stuck totally to what THEY intend to do for our country instead of focusing on the junk about the opposition.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Yes...I hate the trash talking. They focus so much on bashing the other person that they don't take the time and make a strong enough effort to promote themselves. I'm glad it's over for at least another 4 years.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Ooops, one more thing...it can't and shan't be banned b/c remember the old adage: Freedom of speech?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I AGREE WITH lifeasinoit... ALTHOUGH WE DO HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH, BUT COME ON, WE ARE ADULTS... ACT AS SUCH... LEAD BY EXAMPLE.... GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    number_one_mami

Answer by number_one_mami at 10:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Yea but it's just annoying to listen to it. I know it can't be changed but wouldn't it be nice if there was an exception made for just this one thing?....lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• YESYESYESYESYES

Let them talk about themselves.

This election has proven America is over negative campaigning.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Both sides spit rhetoric, but this isn't something new, this has been going on for a couple of hundred years. LOL
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It reminds me, didn't it used to be that businesses couldn't mention competition in their ads? Like Burger King couldn't say "Our whopper is better than a Big Mac."? Ahh the good old days! lol. Yeah I'm all about freedom of speech, but there was a lot of slander going on. Last I checked, that was illegal!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Yes, those ads hating on each other are nothing but propaganda. It's dissapointing coming from any candidate.
    Busymama07

Answer by Busymama07 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2008