Has any one experienced hardship at work because you are a single mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• i did...i had no family...and no one 2 depend on if my son got sick......and couldnt go 2 day care...i had 2 stay home w him...and seeing as he was in daycare....he was always sick! so...i lost many a job cause of that!
    mommyof3101

Answer by mommyof3101 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Same here. Every little tummyache the daycare would call me to come and get her, and then the next thing you know I was fired for being "unreliable".
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Since you guys lost your jobs what did you do? How are you surviving? Is there a place you can report it or make a list of companies that are not supportive of single moms.
    Anonymous

• Oh I used to when my daughter was young. I worked for a woman with no children who could not understand that when daycare called to tell me I had to pick up my daughter because she was sick that I had to. Companies that don't understand a little lateness and absenteeism cannot be avoided when you are a single parent disgust me, particularly when if I would explain my situation they would give me the option of FMLA leave... like how am I supposed to live?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My boss is understanding and I have used all my vacation time plus more because of her being sick. He is being pressured to write me up but he is fighting it. I feel bad. I am a singl emother with no one to help me when she is sick so I have to stay with her when she is sick. It is very hard having to choose between a sick child and going to work so you dont lose your job.
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 5:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008