Should experienced performers and dancers be allowed to compete on Dancing with the Stars?

IS it fair for DWTS to put experienced performers in the competitions with "never before danced"? Isnt it like putting Madonna on Americoa Idol to compete with newbies?

GetawayGirl

Asked by GetawayGirl at 11:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Entertainment

• DWTS is about ballroom dancing. If they have experience doing BALLROOM, no, they shouldn't be permitted on the show. But a hip hop dancer is far from ballroom. And I think it comes down to what is considered to be "experience" too... I know a good bit of people seem to think Jennifer Gray shouldn't be on the show because 25 years ago she did ONE scene with dancing in it... I'm sorry, but that's not experience... And it would most likely shock people the amount of dance experience that most pro-athletes have... So, in a perfect world, you're right, anyone with experience wouldn't be on the show, but in some way or another most people have some form of experience even if it's indirect.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• That's funny. My husband and I were talking about that yesterday. Everyone is putting down Bristol for her "extra votes". Well look at the experience Jennifer Grey had received from Dirty Dancing.
    Anonymous

• It's not like Jennifer practiced one and had it down pat. There is no telling how many hours of practice went into that movie.
    Anonymous

• Jennifer dancing and training to dance (and yes it was ballroom style stuff) for that film was intensive. Not to mention she is a performer and has been on broadway and such. But once you train like that, it is like riding a bike...it comes back. And like Nicole (Pussy Cat Doll) from last season, that wasnt fair either, because as a performer, she has had tons of dance training. I am just saying that it should be on an even level of competition.
    GetawayGirl

Comment by GetawayGirl (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• But the idea behind "stars" being on the show is just that...that they have experience performing.

I do feel like Bristol has come a long way and people are giving her a hard time and she is doing good!
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's fair at all! It's not fair when an ice skater or gymnast is on either. They dance every day of their lives. It's not ballroom dancing, but dancing is dancing. I'm glad Brandy is off. She didn't belong there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• But once you train like that, it is like riding a bike...it comes back.

BULL SHIT! I was a dancer and a Musical Theater performer... Ask me today to pull off a waltz and watch me fall on my ass... Like so many other things, if you don't use it, you lose it!

These are PERFORMERS, they have experience preforming, it's not like this is their first audition. But they are NOT pro-dancers, they have no real dance history...

As for Bristol... She's not even trying, she's just assuming she'll get through on teaparty votes - and so far, she has...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't watch it and not even a big fan of the Palin's. But anyone can vote, even numerous times. You can even use fake e-mail addresses.
    I will be glad when it is over and I stop hearing about it.
    Anonymous

• As for Bristol... She's not even trying

How do YOU know that she is not trying. Like this post says, most of the others are performers of some sort, or have even had dance in the past. Bristol is young and is most defiantly not a performer. I think she is doing the best she can and has gotten better week after week.
    Anonymous