if you decided to just pump does it still make your nipples sore?

Juat wondering...I have 3 kiddos and never tried to BF

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 11:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it for awhile. It didnt hurt. I just got burnt out of feeding and pumping. It seemed like I didnt have anytime for anything else. i would say do it, even if you just supplement. :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not really anymore than actually breastfeeding...but your milk production will be all screwed up! It is NOT the same as a childs suction.
    GetawayGirl

Answer by GetawayGirl at 12:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It hurts more than having the baby on your breast, and it's REALLY hard to keep your supply up. When the baby is at the breast, you get a hormone surge that increases your let down. When you have only mechanical sucking, you don't get much.
    If you want to give your baby breastmilk (and I hope you plan to, it's a wonderful gift for BOTH of you!), give it to him/her from the source.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Mine were sore...but they never cracked and bled (my aunts did that and it freaked me out)...I decided to only pump with both of mine...and it worked wonders..with my second I did get sore for about a week but it wasnt bad enough to make me stop
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't think as bad as breast feeding.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I pumped when my nipples were too sore to nurse. It doesn't hurt in the same way. My nipples were only sore in the very beginning, then they toughen up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i exclusively pump! so i pump 8-10 times a day and i pretty much have no feeling left in my nipples i swear! it hurt at first but now it doesnt bother me! but its all worth it to give my dd the best!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes it still hurts at first....For me it got to the point where anything that touched them would cause them to hurt and bleed....but...that only lasted a week....if that....But try it and see how it goes....if you dont like it then stop. Its not like you would be a bad mom because you are not giving your child breast milk and dont let other moms tell you that you are...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Heck yes, there was no feeling left in them for a while. ANd from what I hear the pump doesn't express and much milk as the baby itself would.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• pumping hurt worse than latching baby on, for me. i hated pumping but it did not bother me to breastfeed.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 1:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010