Fate or not?

I am torn about fate. I have usually always been on the side of fate. I believe that most things are supposed to happen or maybe I should say "should" happen, but I also think fate is changable. Sometimes I think there is a guidlines in place, but we can change these guidlines with an action. Which is the cause of "bad" things in life. When we change the true direction we are supposed to follow it causes a snowball effect of consequences until we get back on track so to speak. What do you all think?

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a true believer of fate, and things can be changed somewhat but fate catches up with you anyway.

Answer by older at 12:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I believe that everything happens for a reason (fate).
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Here's how I see fate... Our lives are not laid out minute for minute by the fates. However, we each have a purpose, a reason for being here, a lesson to learn or help others learn. Those aspects of our lives which MUST come to pass in order for us to serve that purpose, reason or lesson are "fated" - they WILL happen. Now, do we know which aspects of our life those are? Nope. We aren't meant to, so all we have is to live our lives as if every moment is our own & not worry about what is fate and what is not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• "When we change the true direction we are supposed to follow it causes a snowball effect of consequences until we get back on track so to speak"

Read about "Dharma" in the Hindu religion. This is precisely what happens when we go against our dharma.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• As Yoda so wisely said "Always in motion the future is." Every decision we make alters our direction and, consequentially our "Fate". I would not practice witchcraft if I didn't feel that my power and my decision can make a change for the better. The change can be as big as living through an accident that should have killed you or not having that accident at all. It can be something as small as shortening the length of an illness and helping your kids feel better more quickly. Some things are meant to happen--to teach you something. But you can still affect the outcome!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i believe nothing in life is coincidental...everything that happens is for reason. people we encounter, no matter how brief, are put there to help us with something. i do think our life journey is 'laid' out for us..although we can change minor things the big plan is still in effect.
    cornfused

Answer by cornfused at 12:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't believe in fate. Everything in life is connected by a huge chain reaction- but none of it it 'supposed' to be; it's just a natural reaction caused by an action.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I believe cause and effect is the only "reason" anything happens. No fate, no Karma, no Destiney, just a sum up of "shit happens and you learn to deal with it"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• For about 15 years I was convinced that everything happens for a reason- even if we didn't realise what that was until long afterward.
    Now- I think good things happen. bad things happen, some are caused by us -some aren't...you jsut do the best you can with what you get and move on...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think all of life is far more complex than anything as simplistic as fate might suggest. I believe that the universe is far more random and chaotic than many people can deal with --at least, people routinely make it clear that they'll believe virtually anything no matter how far fetched and unlikely when the alternative is the coldness of reality.

The universe doesn't give a crap about anyone's love life or whether they said this specific bunch of sounds before or after they performed this series of activities, it doesn't care what people wear and will not direct the asteroids or supernovas conveniently away from this planet if enough people smear blue mud in their navels...or whatever rule or ritual someone came up with that appeased the volcano god or rain goddess or magic special effect team...

To me, fate always sounds like a poor excuse to avoid taking responsibility for choices, and accepting random reality.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2010