How do you clean a dishwasher?

My dishwasher does not seem to be working very well these days. There are so many ways out there to clean a dishwasher but whats the best one? How do you do yours?

klpeter

Asked by klpeter at 12:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Bleach- A mug or small bowl with about 1 cup bleach, placed in the bottom rack of the empty dishwasher and kept through a full washing cycled is one method to clean the appliance.

Lemon and Vinegar-Lemon and vinegar are both well-known natural cleaners, and they are much less corrosive or dangerous than bleach. You can use 1 cup each of lemon juice and vinegar in the same way as the bleach method described above.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6006456_home-cleaning-dishwasher-lime-buildup.html
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have seen a product out there that is supposed to work good, but I have only used the bleach method. I fill the dishwasher with my kids toys first then run a bleach cycle. It kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Lol.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 12:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I buy cleaning things at Walmart a few times a year. I've also used C.L.R
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I use Tang (at the recommendation of the saleslady at Sears), but I think that just cleans the inside of the dishwasher, not the pipes. You should see if you can find recommendations from the manufacturer, some cleaning products can harm the motor.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I use Dishwasher Magic.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I use a package of either UN- Flavored Jell-O or Lemon-Lime Jell-O; just pour it in the cup & let it run a full cycle- Works Every Time:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Last year we were having issues with our dishwasher and we thought we had to replace it. We went to Home Depot to look for a new one and the salesman told us that the problems might be caused by buildup and to try either vinegar or Tang before we bought a new one. We tried the Tang but it didn't seem to fix our issue. I then used the vinegar and it worked great. Just place a cup of vinegar on the top rack and wash on the hottest (sanitize) setting. That really helped clean and freshen up our stinky dishwasher so we didn't have to get a new one. Oh another tip I heard was to run the hot water in your sink just before starting the dishwasher because it will get the flow of hot water going so the overall temp will be higher. I do that all the time now and I really think it makes a difference.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 2:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Okay....first things first - empty the food basket at the bottom of the dishwasher under the water blade. Then the dishwasher empty with baking soda in the soap cup and vinegar in the rinse aid cup. Make sure that your water heater is set at atleast 120ºF. And don't use store brand detergents....Cascade and Finish are most recommended and perform the best. Make sure your detergent is NOT lemon scented as the lemon scent can RUIN the finish on some flatware. Also don't use the prepackaged detergents in the gel pillows...use liquid or powder.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010