I am fuming angry! Am I being nuts?

I just pulled out a load of laundry and see strange initials inside my 14 yr old's P.E. shirt. I look at the shorts and they are very small. So I ask him where his P.E. clothes are and he says he doesn't know. Finally I got out of him that they were gone from his locker Wednesday and the school gave him some old pair.

I am furious that his NEW P.E. clothes are stolen and that he didn't tell me so I could go down to the school last week and raise hell.

I took away video games for today and making him put away all the laundry. I'm really angry.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 12:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Glad to see that you talked with your son. Happy Thanksgiving.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• How is you taking his video game away going to help him learn to stand up for himself, report crimes committed against him (or anyone else) or see the world as just or fair? You have only confirmed what he already knows: his stuff is for other people to control, there's no sense in complaining you'll only get in more trouble.

I can't wrap my head around the idea of being punished because someone else stole something from him. Isn't having his stuff stolen a rather natural consequence?

It strikes me that you're angry at someone you can't reach so you're punishing the one you can. If he was somewhere else, would the dog get it?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm guessing he thought you might over-react to what is probably an already embarrassing situation for him.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Small thing, don't get so upset and pick your battles. It could be alot worse.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't get mad over that. It's not your son's fault! Poor kid got his gym clothes stolen and his video games taken away. Why are you mad at him?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No surprise that he didn't tell you and lied and accepted the clothing, he is clearly trying to avoid angrymom.

You need to settle down and go to the school when it opens. This is not life or death. Who is this boy going to go to when/if he really has a problem in his life? Definitely not his angrymom. I can understand why you are upset, the new clothing that you paid for is missing, but I do not understand holding it over the poor boy's head all of his vacation. He is even willing to accept wearing shorts a size too small for crying out loud! Doesn't that tell you anything?
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Isn't that a little drastic. It's not his fault someone stole his clothes. Do you think he's not telling the truth?
    Anonymous

• Who are you angry WITH? I'm guessing it's with the hooligans that stole your son's clothes? What would you do if you could go to the school? What would you expect the school to do? You can't be mad at your son....I'm sure he was already hurt, or embarrassed enough. I guess I just don't know where your anger is directed.....
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Are you being nuts? Yes.

It sounds to me like your son lied because he knew how much you'd overreact and he was afraid of getting in trouble over a situation over which he had no control.

All you've taught him in this case is that no matter what decision he makes, he's going to be wrong in your eyes.

While losing brand new PE clothes SUCKS, it's a small thing. Losing your son's trust in you is way worse.

As a side question: do you blow up like this over every transgression in your house? If so, you might benefit from some anger management classes.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No biggie.It is pretty common and AT LEAST he asked for PE cloths..he could do what i did and not dress for PE lol...I know My Jr high had loan cloths for students that forgot cloths or had them stolen.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010