Should restaurants have the right to ban loud or screaming children?

I got some parenting mag in the mail today, and as usual I tossed it in the bathroom to read when I'm in there... Anyways, there was a poll in there with this question, the results were 49% for to 51% against...

So, I'm wondering where everyone here lies.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Then someone could say they were discriminating against children or something. Plus it's not always that simple to put something like that in place. But I must say, my kids get removed from the table if they can't act right. It doesn't happen very often because I don't allow it. Plain and simple.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think they should have the right, yes, but they would lose certain customers doing that. On the other hand, the customers that they lose would be those with screaming children, and otherwise, they might lose those without screaming children. So what patrons do they want- those with screaming children, or those who appreciate a relaxed, quiet atmosphere. Who would be the better spenders and tippers?

Answer by Bmat at 1:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No..how would they do that? pack up your half eaten food and tell u to leave? That would cause a scene!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• how cud a restaurant tell people that have kids tell them that they cant have their kids with them
    brit2009

Answer by brit2009 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• When I was growing up, you knew better than to act up in public... I was blown away at how some parents let their kids act in public (I worked in a restaurant) and wished we had been allowed to ask some people to leave.

One kid stole the pacifier of a baby at another table - who they didn't know - ran in the bathroom & threw it in the urinal... It caused a huge fight between the two tables, ruined a very busy dinner hour for lots of people and the parents of the kid who actually did it never so much as told the kid to sit down... They actually defended what their kid did, they said it was the other families problem for letting their kid have a pacifier in the first place... And these were people who were in ALL THE TIME. Every time they were in their kids were an issue & we had NOTHING we could do about it... I'm all for telling people to leave because of their kids bad behavior!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think that they would be within their right to ask ask a disruptive customer to leave, if it got so bad the other guests were threatening to leave (lose one family verses several?), but to call for an outright ban on children period, would be very detrimental to their business I think.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't know about a legal ban, but parents should have the common courtesy to remove their screaming children so that the experience is not ruined for everyone.
    PhantomsFairie

Answer by PhantomsFairie at 1:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think it would depend on the type of restaurant. Family restaurants, no. More formal dining, definitely. But I think precautions can be taken before it has to get to the point of actually kicking out a family with a disruptive child. Asking them to keep their child quiet would probably piss some people off, but I know the patrons around them would be silently cheering. On the other hand, you can't always tell a child is special needs - some are loud and its not due to bad parenting.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• 1/2:

If the parents don't have the courtesy to reprimand their children or remove them when they become too unruly, then certainly the restaurant should. And if you know your child is too tired, agitated, sick, or is physically or emotionally incapable of dealing with the sensory inputs of being in a busy restaurant, it's your responsbility as a parent to put your kid's NEED to go home above your DESIRE to sit and take up a table. (I'm not talking McDonald's, etc. but an actual sit down restaurant)

I cannot believe how many parents let their kids RUN AROUND a busy restaurant, crawl around on the floor, get underfoot, bang stuff on the tables, scream at the top of their lungs, etc.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• 2/2:

2/2: I started taking my kids into restaurants when they were 4 and 2, and I made sure they knew the rules. And more than once, I've had to pack up my food as soon as it arrived and take them home because they acted up. But they LEARNED that Mama doesn't play that game. Now, at 12 and 10, they hold doors for other patrons, put their napkins in their laps, say please/thank you and complain to ME about the kids at other tables making them look bad by virtue of the shared age group. Do they make mistakes sometimes? Sure, but usually I only have to look at them for them to get back under control.
    geminilove