Am I wrong to check my 7 year-olds homework and to have her make corrections?

My husband says I'm being a perfectionist because I check my 2nd graders' homework and I make her correct her sloppy handwriting. She has nice writing when she takes her time, but like most kids she rushes through so she can get it over with. Also, there's an incorrect answer I ask her to read the question and her answer again, I don't say "this is wrong, try again." I'm not asking her for pefection, I just want her to do her best. Am I being too picky?

amyb99

Asked by amyb99 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Helping kids develop good study and work habits at that age is really important.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I agree with you that she should get in the custom of doing her best.

Answer by Bmat at 1:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not at all!!! You are doing a great job. I remember when I was in third grade we were learning cursive handwriting. I missed a word on my spelling test because of my hand writing. I missed the word "book", my "B" looked like an "L" so I wrote "look" instead. I even wrote the word correctly in print next to the cursive word. He still counted it wrong.....BOO! lol

The Moral of My Story:

If my mom had helped me with my handwriting I might not have wrote "look".....lol

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Homework is not designed to tell the teacher how much the child knows. That is what tests are for. Homework is for additional practice outside of school that will allow the child to learn past the classroom, and will help the material sink in. Thus, it is important to review your childs homework and allow them to make corrections if needed.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it. Good for you, and you have a chance to get her to correct her mistakes before she can get a bad grade (I know some teachers will take points off for sloppy handwriting).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I do the same thing...it will pay off.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 1:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think you are doing the right thing. My son's first grade teacher encourages it!!
    TKsMommie

Answer by TKsMommie at 1:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My DD's teacher asks that we check over their homework, to help them correct what is wrong & to make sure it's legible. It's in bright letters on the weekly homework sheet. I think teachers would certainly appreciate what you're doing.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I do not agree with making corrections on homework. Check to make sure the work is done, and that's it. The teachers need to know where a child's weaknesses and strengths lay - and homework lets them know that. If you are going over everything, making corrections and they are always turning in perfect work, the teachers don't know what they need to be covering in class again and the students fall behind... Then come test time, these students don't have mom to check their work, and they don't get the grades they should, had the teacher known where the students needed extra help, they could have made sure they had it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I check my 3rd grader's homework every night and have since kindergarten. It's not a matter of being a perfectionist, it's a matter of learning. What if there are incorrect answers? Handwriting is important because a lot of teachers mark off points when they cannot read the writing. If I can't read it, the teacher can't either and it needs to be redone.
    PhantomsFairie

Answer by PhantomsFairie at 1:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010