my mouthy four year old

every since my daughter started pre-k she's gotten pretty mouthy.you say i'm gonna put you in time out for talking to adults like that she say's"so i don't care i'll put you in time out" it get worse then that. she also lies.we attend church regulary and i tell her lying is bad and she just rolls her eyes..it makes me mad.. what can i do to stop her?

hamandeggs

Asked by hamandeggs at 1:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her that everybody gets caught in lies & that it will really embarrass her one day. Maybe you can share a story where either you, or someone you know got in big trouble for lying & it was real embarrassing. Also, tell her that she won't have many friends if she lies & if she is rude.

I don't think it just boils down to independence, my child has never lied or ever had the tenacity to say "I'll put you in time out". She knows she will have rights taken away with her rude bbehavior. It's good that you caught it early, go a head & ni[ it in the bud before it gets bad.

Don't give her too much attention or yell at her when she does it. Punish her how you will & leave it at that. Kids lie & misbehave for attention, don't give her the satisfaction she is looking for. She'll learn that crappy behavior does not get her attention.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• She's just growing and learning to be independant and how the world works. Just continue what youre doing. Explain to her that these things are unacceptable behavior. She will learn. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with Memigen. This is what I do. The mouth OMG, they are getting it from school. I have a 3 yr old. Every time she talks not so nice she goes right in time out again. I just keep doing it over and over again. It is working.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I know that not everyone is going to agree with this but I thought that I would share something that has worked tremendously with us. For being mouthy/whiny/mean with dd mouth we put a tiny dab of soap on her tongue. For lying we put a dab of hot sauce on her tongue. It has cut back by 85% I would say. When we just did time outs she would be in a time out 10 times a day seems like! Then we started this and she is in a timeout maybe everyother day. It has taught her how to appropriately express herself and think about the things that she is going to say before she says them (which of course we discuss with her after her punishment).
    annabsmommy

Answer by annabsmommy at 1:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010