hat age do i start teaching him to go to bed on his own?

i have a two month old boy will be three months oin december.i breast feed and i was told by wic to feed when he wants it..but he stays up late fighting his sleep and i just feel like i don't get much sleep and it makes me kinda cranky(say's my husband) i want to make sure he gets plenty to eat if he's not full but i also want sleep and it seems like he's sleeping less and cranky more?

hamandeggs

Asked by hamandeggs at 1:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your the mother, it's completly your dicision on what you do. I was able to start my son a schedule around 8 weeks, it can be done you just start out slow, and work up on things from there,
    My son is trained now to go to bed between 7-7:30, he knows the schedule is pick him up from daycare, eat dinner shortly after, have a bath, read, bottle etc,
    It can be done.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I had all 5 of my kids on a schedule from the time we came home from the hospital. Even in the hospital, I put him down in his bassinet awake and let them learn to get themselves to sleep. I firmly believe that their ability to soothe themselves to sleep helped them sleep through the night early as well - because if they did happen to wake they could put themselves back to sleep. I breastfed all of mine as well, they were all on a flexible 3 hour schedule.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Some kids are more difficult than others in the sleep department. Many of the "tricks" or methods that work for some babies simply don't work for others. I had a "high need" baby (my first son). He fought sleep, nursed constantly and was attached to my hip. I tried many different methods... but he was just the way he was and nothing I did was able to change that.

He outgrew it. He goes to bed just fine now at 4.

Will he nurse to sleep? There were times I had to nurse, rock and sing all at the same time to get my little guy to sleep. Are you co-sleeping yet? It's rough, I know... and I wish there was a magical answer for you. I wanted to punch anyone who told me to "make him wait to eat", or "put him down sleepy"... NONE of that worked for him, he just needed a great deal of my attention. Then my second baby came along and put himself to sleep and nursed every 3 hours from birth... They're all different.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Are you open to considering co sleeping? I speak from personal experience that I, and my kids, slept better when they were in bed with me. If it's something you think you might want to try, remember that there ARE guidelines for safe cosleeping, such as no pillows near baby, firm mattress, not to cosleep if you are drinking or taking some medications, etc.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It's v individual.There are moms who swear by scheduling, and there are moms who find that scheduling is a lot of work that has the opposite effect of what's intended (baby w\akes MORE).

In any event, sleep training advocates say not before six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I started putting my son to bed in his own room at 6 mos
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010