Why do we learn to write in cursive?

lol, just thought about this... What's the point? We read books in print, we type in print (if you're not using special characters or programs), we write in print for paper work and such.... so why do we need to learn to write in cursive and why do we even need to write in cursive? If no-one had ever started writing in cursive we could all sign our names in print. We still have unique writing styles anyhow. Styles unique to us, and people who forge documents can either trace a cursive signature or do something else.

Maybe it's a dumb thought.... but it crossed my mind, lol.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 1:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in

• I wonder the same. I had to teach it when I taught 3rd, and honestly only dedicated like 20 minutes a week to it. It just wasn't an important part of the curriculum to me. We had computers in the classroom for one. If my kids were not typing, I preferred my students to print written work, so I could read it. Hell, some of them needed to perfect their print, which made cursive very frustrating to them.  I myself NEVER, EVER write in cursive. I think the last time I did I was in 5th grade. I only sign my name.

Anonymous

• I never write in print. Writing is simply more formal, it's meant to be a sign of respect for those who you are writing too... Plus, it just looks nicer & it's easier that printing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I've thought about this, too. I have quite nice cursive writing but I print most of what I do these days or type it up on the computer. But my son who is 15 and has fine motor skills difficulty has a much easier time writing than printing. His letter spacing and size is much better and it's much easier to read. I still think it should be taught starting in elementary grades.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I was just thinking this last night! They should just hold off until high school and have them create their own signature style.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I always tell my kids that they at least know how to write their name in cursive so they can sign for things.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I write in cursive all the time.  I'm working on a story right now and can't always sit at my computer to write so I do it long hand...in cursive.  Cursive is much faster than printing (although I type faster than I write by hand).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I write in cursive all the time. It is easier and faster, and if introduced early, easier for kids to pick up on. DD is 5 and already knows how to write all of her lower case cursive letters and how to form words. She knows about 6 upper case as of now. She loves it. I do have her work on manuscript as well, but given the choice she would rather write in cursive.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I always tell my kids that they at least need to write their name in cursive so they can sigh things.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I find it hlarious that people call writing in cursive "writing" btu writing in print "printing". They are BOTH writing. Why not just call it what it is and say "writing in cursive" or "writing in print", etc?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Why do we need to learn how to use a dictionary, encyclopedia, etc when we can just look it up online? Why do we need to learn manners, respect? Why do we need to learn how to speak when we can just text or send an email? Why do we need to learn how to listen?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010