How Do You "Help" You Baby Learn How To Crawl?

Are there ways you can help your baby learn how to crawl? I bought my son a Vtech self-rolling ball for Christmas that is supposed to help her learn how to crawl. Honestly, I just thought it was cute. My son will be 4 months old the 19th of December. How long until he will be able to sit up and/or crawl?

BooNKodasMommy

Asked by BooNKodasMommy at 1:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's anywhere between 3-6 for sitting up, Crawling between 9-12 months, it depends on the baby, sometimes they can be really advanced. Any toys you have are great, but the biggest help is lots of practice.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• you don't, they learn on their own, like humans have been doing for 1000s of years. There's no rush.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Don't rush it, enjoy it while the are small and immobile. My 5 month old is just learning to sit up. He'll be crawling before you know it.

keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Every baby moves at his/her own speed. Some learn to crawl very quickly, some don't, and some skip crawling all together and went straight to standing/walking. I think the timeline the previous mom suggested is about right. One big caveat is that the babies have to be on their stomach in order to practice. My 7 month old hates being on her stomach, so what she's able to do now is only rolling from one side of the room to the other side if she wants to get somewhere, I expect she'll delay learning how to crawl. Remember to remove all things small from the floor. They are faster than you think.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am not trying to rush him. I just want to do as much as I can for him. We have a lot of fun with his "learning" toys, and when he scoots across the floor it is so cute. As far as I have heard it is completely normal for a mom to be excited about her baby learning new things and growing. I will be just as happy if he started crawling at 9 months as if he starts crawling at 6 months. I just wanted to know the average time because I was curious.
    BooNKodasMommy

Comment by BooNKodasMommy (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Actually, surprise, surprise, you can help him crawl...and should according to developmental pediatric therapists. Too many babies are skipping the crawling stages these days and according to certain professionals and studies it is not good. Good, correct crawling can improve reading and math scores some studies show. So, by all means encourage your baby to crawl! Most crawling is 8-12 months. Tummy time is very important because it develops neck and stomach muscles and overall core strength to be able to do the next things like sitting up and crawling.

You can place your baby on his hands and knees and GENTLY help him rock back and forth, that is what most babes do before they crawl.

Also you need to make sure when crawling does start it is not butt scooting, or sitting/dragging. It needs to be up on hands and knees crawling, usually opposite hand/ leg motions.

Last, you can take your baby to a good pediatric therapist
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• for a screening, which is usually free of charge just as an additional whole health wellness for correct movement and development. It is free, and they will point out to you any exercises you can do, you can ask questions, and they will catch any issues with development. Some common problems that they catch in these visits are children who are asymmetrically (most movement is symmetrical at this age.) They correct W sitting, sitting with legs splayed out that can lead to hip dysplasia, they correct incorrect crawling, and incorrect walking, like toe walkers. Those are just a FEW common things that they can help with early. You do not need a problem or a dr. order to take your child in for a free screening.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I put my laptop on the ground, and she crawled right up to it.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My son started crawling at 6 months and was walking at 7
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Thank you! He goes after things now. Our only problem is that he looks up, spots what he wants, aims his body at it, and then smashed his face into the floor and scoots toward it! He's gonna get rug burn on his face if I don't watch him! LOL! :) I will try the rocking thing though. He likes my cell phone, so maybe I'll just keep putting it far enough away from him that it encourages him to move toward it... without mashing his face in the carpet.
    BooNKodasMommy

Comment by BooNKodasMommy (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010