Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to move with bad credit?

We moved into an apartment that ended up being Roach infested. We have tried everything, and the landlord won't do NOTHING. My DH and I had lost our jobs due to economy last year, so our truck got repoed, our house went into foreclosure, etc. One thing after another after we couldn't work. Long story short, (and yes we have had little jobs hear and there, but due to Bureau of Motor Vehicles, I lost my job again (the newest job I had). It was the day before my Birthday (Nov 6) and me and DH went to BMV to get tags renewed, and the lady there would NOT give me my tags. There was NO hold my my license. But she that I HAD to wait till the next day. I have never heard of that. So, it screwed me out of my job. I cleaned banks so I needed my car for my job. So, I'm jobless again. Of course I'm looking again. My apartment now is litterally FILLED with roaches. The landlord is my DH's best friend mom. So, he feels bad saying anything. I am OCD, so I can't even get out of bed, walk on my floor barefoot, and definetaly can't put food in my cabinets. The only food I keep is the food in the freezer and frig. I can't even use the oven and stove. I cleaned the oven and stove top but I, being a pro cleaner for 10 years, can see that the roaches is deep inside the oven/stove. I can't even cook. Our credit isn't great, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get another apartment, having not so great credit? I have a 13 year old with asthma. I can't let him live there anymore. I can't send him to his dad's house cause his dad drinks morning, noon, and night plus drinks and drives with my son in the car at the same time. Any suggestions will be very appreciated. You can pm me as well. I don't have a computer at home, I'm at library, so I use my cell at times. But please help. I am desperate. Thanks for listening everyone. Have a great day.


Answer Question

Asked by gerigirl90 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 3 (24 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Well you could offer to pre-pay your rent if you have the money for 6 or 9 months as a show of good faith to a potential landloard and from there ask if you could go month to month.

    Or why don't you just contact a pest control guy and take care of the roach situation yourself and then deduct it from the rent?

    Answer by Syphon at 1:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • you can goto court and have the rent go into an escrow account. call up the county health inspector. look in your lease, who OWNS the building? a company? likely not the landlord.
    if you make the right phone calls you can possibly be put up in a hotel til the place is cleared

    Answer by hibbingmom at 1:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • what you really REALLY need to consider is ditching apartments. find a rental house, duplex, or triplex..... that is privately owned by one single person or family. if they like you and you show up w/ cash, they'll likely go on their gut instinct of you as a tenant and ditch the whole application process thing.

    careful, though...... roaches may travel with you to your new home.

    ..... another option is to STOP PAYING YOUR RENT til the problem is solved. if he takes you to court, you'll be listened to and understood. judges HATE slum lords.

    Answer by hibbingmom at 2:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • I have no credit, and my DH has horrible credit.... but we just had to really look around... we finally found an apartment that didn't care about our credit, just how much income we had... But in the meantime, you might want to try putting caged crickets around the house because they are natural predators of roaches and their chirping tends to scare away roaches.

    Answer by momof2redhedz at 3:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • GO Call national credit care and speak to someone they look at everything on your credit and they get it fixed no joke they erase stuff and get your score up it costs like 85 to 100 bucks but it works and it is worth it here is the num of someone we use Alan Harrington 9702225199
    he will fix your problems trust me if u dont call its your loss so please do

    Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 5:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • Try this remedy:


    Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.