grandma's ranting

my grandmother is to much..when i was pregnant she used to make things or mention things and i would tell her i couldn't then she would chime in with i drank,smike,ate whatever,and did this and that and all her kids are fine. i love her but she makes me feel like i can't do anything right sometimes too and i kinda think she's the one in the wrong..but i can't tell her that cuz then she gets more mad and either fights with me or ignores me til i say sorry..anyone else have this problem?

hamandeggs

Asked by hamandeggs at 1:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I used to. My grandma died when I was 23. I wish she were still here now so we could fight about silly things.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My gram is this way... she has not talked to me in months over something SHE did.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Grandmas are usually right!

Answer by older at 2:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think it's fairly typical of elderly women to try to control other people with their toxic attitudes and criticism. Happily, it just means that the insides of their heads have been filled with vile nasty horrors, probably for most of their lives. They can't really help spilling it out through their mouths.

It helps to know that, so you can avoid taking it personally. It always has more to do with them than you.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My gandma only cares about herself so sorry.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Um yes! My MIL is like that too? isnt yours lol? You just have to ignore HER...because its not worth the effort.
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 2:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• give grammy a klondike bar!!! lol. but seriously a lot of older folks think they are automatically right because the are older. which is not always true. a lot of things they say are old wives tales. but they have good intentions (most of the time)
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Just agree with her and let her think she is the boss (but do your own thing).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't see what she said as a direct attack on you doing things right or not. If that's all she said, it just sounds like she compared her experience to yours. Most people do that. It's not being critical just observant. Don't take things so personally

Answer by admckenzie at 2:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Just smile and nod. Don't bother disagreeing with her. It clearly won't get you anywhere. Tactfully change the subject.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010