does anyone find turkey meat too dry?

i love thanksgiving but i would much rather a big fat ham. everyone claims they cook the best turkey but the end results are always dry. it has nothing to do with the cook's culinary skills but i think it is just a dry xtra lean meat.

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I do. I can only really choke it down dipped in gravy.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I found simply cooking my turkey breast side down for the first half of the cooking time solved a lot of the dryness issues. The juices in the meat settle into the breast instead of running out into the pan.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It has everything to do with the cooks culinary skills and with how you inject it and the attention you pay to it while cooking. I inject my turkey till it's oozing from everywhere plus I cut slits everywhere and stuff those with whole garlic pieces. Then I put it in the over on Wednesday night before I got to be at 150 degrees and let it do it's stuff all night long. In the morning...I bring it up to 200 degrees till about 2 or 3pm...all along I'm going back and basting it with it's own juices. My turkey falls off the bone. YUMMO!!!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 2:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• thats why i like dark meat
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The only dry turkey I'v'e ever had was when my MIL used to boil the turkey first for the broth, then roast it. Dry as a bone. The best way I've found to have a moist, delicious turkey is to brine it overnight then cook it. Alton Brown on Food Network has a great recipe for the brine. We usually stuff the turkey with cut up oranges, apples and onions. Tastes delicious!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You haven't tried Butterball --or the technique that makes excellent, moist turkey: brining, basting, larding and injecting the breast with fat.

24 hours before cooking, submerge the entire bird in a mixture of sea salt and cold water. Loosen the skin on the breast and lard it (smooth fat between the skin and meat) with a mixture of butter, olive oil and orange or lemon zest. From the back and front and down near the wings, using a intravenous needle (you can get one from a surgical supply, or from some vets or doctors, if they know what you want it for) inject about 1/2 a cup of melted butter mixed with a tablespoon of brandy or cognac into the breast meat. Before putting it into the oven, and every 30 minutes throughout the cooking, baste with a combination of olive oil and melted butter.

When the top of the bird is well browned, cover the whole thing with foil and continue cooking until done.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No, I think the bird is being overcooked then.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010