how can I her to try foods?

Samantha will not try anything that she has not seen before. Like chicken, she loves it, but when i try to see if she likes fish, she will not even try it.

lexy2131

Asked by lexy2131 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her it's a different type of chicken...
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 2:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Don't offer it to her. Make dinner whatever way you feel like it, and free her to eat it or not, as she chooses.

Stop talking about it, and it will cease to be a power struggle or any kind of issue in her head --because people can thrive on a very limited number of foods (and practically everything apart from fruit has protein in it) as long as they are real, actual food (instead of the 4 US Food Groups: boxes, bags, cans and bottles).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• reward her for trying new things. we tell our girls "just one bite" and if you don't like it you may spit it out.... but if you DO like it you can have as MUCH as you want. we are always sure to mix in things that we KNOW they will like... a different style of veggies (they eat all veggies), etc.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with asil. And time will change all this, eventually she'll try more & more things
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I always tell dd "2 bites then you don't have to eat it and you can get down." But dd has always wanted new foods. If I get her the same things over and over she won't eat it anymore. We do 2 bites because dd always licks it first and claims that as a bite. This way she actually tastes it and then we don't make her take another bite the next time but by then she wants a bite anyways.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Okay honestly my son was the same way. And then one day I mad lasagna something he would NEVER eat before if I told him what it is so I told him it was special spaghetti...

And now he loves lasagna and will eat it even if I tell him what it really is.

I just tell him things are something he likes & he ends up eating it and liking it.

Tristainsmamma

Answer by Tristainsmamma at 8:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2010