HELP! I'm pregnant and I am running the clean cycle on the oven... is this dangerous?

I'm at home with my 20 month old and needed to clean the oven. I did not put any chemicals in it just turned on the clean cycle. I am 11 weeks pregnant. Is this dangerous for my unborn and for my toddler who is running around in this cloud of yuck?? Anyone else run the clean cycle while prego??

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 2:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• uhm no, not unless your planning on being in it.

you don't need to stand right next to it either. People live in hot climates and have children just fine :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• There are no chemicals involved. There's no danger. It just burning grease. I dont know how the weather is where you are but I would open a window just because I know it smells gross. I dont do mine unless I can open a window that day.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No everything will be just fine. I have to admit I did not think that you were seriously asking this question.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• well i always wondered the same thing, i used to cover my mouth and nose while cleaning the bathroom cause i was scared the fumes would hurt the baby. i hated to even be at the gas station. and i always loved the smell of gas i know weird!
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 3:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Guess I panicked after I saw a story on the internet (ya, I know) about how ovens are lined with teflon and during the cleaning cycle toxic fumes are released.... I read this after it was half way through the clean cycle. Then I started to realize, if this was "such a dangerous thing" there would be warnings on self cleaning ovens or maybe ovens wouldn't even have a self cleaning cycle. Maybe my real problem is that I'm TOO PARANOID!!
    hollysybb

Comment by hollysybb (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Nov. 24, 2010