THE INCIDENTS FUELLING THE OUTCRY

A flight attendant and cancer survivor revealed her horror at being forced to show her prosthetic breast to a security agent during a pat-down at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

Cathy Bossi said two female Charlotte TSA agents subjected her to what Ms Bossi described as an aggressive pat down.

She said they stopped when they got around to feeling her right breast - the one she had lost through her illness.

She was then apparently asked to remove the prosthetic breast from her bra and show it to the TSA agents.

'There are blowers and there are dogs out there that can sniff out bombs', she said. 'There's no reason to have somebody's hands touching your body parts.'

Another woman is also comparing her experience at Lambert Airport in St. Louis to being sexually assaulted.

Penny Moroney was flying home to Chicago when while going through security, the metal in her artificial knees set off the detectors.

She had to undergo more screening because of the alarm going off and when Ms Moroney asked if she could go through a body scanner she was told none were available.

The only alternative offered to Ms Moroney was a pat-down which she said she found a horrific experience.

'Her gloved hands touched my breasts... went between them. Then she went into the top of my slacks, inserted her hands between my underwear and my skin... then put her hands up on the outside of my slacks, and patted my genitals', Ms Moroney explained.
Patdown search: Mandy Simon

Patdown search: Mandy Simon

'I was shaking and crying when I left that room. Under any other circumstance, if a person touched me like that without my permission, it would be considered criminal sexual assault.'

And in a third incident security footage showed three-year-old Mandy Simon sobbing and pleading with staff to 'Stop touching me' as she searched in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

She had become upset after her teddy bear was put through an X-ray machine.

Bladder cancer survivor Thomas Sawyer, 61, was left 'humiliated' after a pat-down search burst his urostomy bag leaving him covered in his own urine.

He said: 'I am totally appalled by the fact that agents that are performing these pat-downs have so little concern for people with medical conditions.'

The incident occurred on November 7 at Detroit Metropolitan Airport and Mr Sawyer claims staff ignored his pleas about the bag.

However at San Diego Airport on Friday, Samuel Wolanyk stripped down to his underwear rather than walk through a body imaging machine.

He refused to put his clothes back and was arrested for not allowing security officials to search him

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332307/Now-abused-TSA-staff-vent-anger-security-patdown-searches.html#ixzz168TBxRgl

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard these stories on the news last night. It's so sad that these people had to go through this.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Gal, I generally disagree with you on, well, everything. This one though, I agree with you. It's less than a month into this, and it's only getting worse. This is not going away, and pretty soon the TSA will be spending all of their time dealing with complaints and defending their position. In the meantime, American citizens are feeling violated in their own country. There has got to be a better way.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Have you noticed she has no personal information at all on her profile, just advertising for her business?

And we also notice your page is totally blank, ANON.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Give it a rest and put your energy where it might make a difference, not here.......

She feels passionate about this issue just as you do for gays, older. I am ashamed of you for posting this.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It's so easy to pshaw someone's experiences when it hasn't happened to you. Just because these experiences haven't happened to everyone, doesn't mean there shouldn't be concern. That they happened to even ONE person should be a concern.

All these people saying these new security measures are necessary to ensure a safe flight - Did none of you fly before October 29th of this year? Did you all wait until you that 20% of travellers would be subjected to having naked photos of them taken, or be groped by under trained "security agents." Because, of course, there is no way a terrorist could be in the 80% of travellers not subjected to the additional screening. Where you all too terrified to fly during this past summer, but now will be booking vacations secure in the knowledge that Grandma is going to have her boobs squeezed? Seriously, it's becoming hilarious.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Bad enough the woman had to have a breast removed from cancer and now shes subjected to that just to go on a plane..humiliating..degrading etc etc..the terrorists are winning ..millions of VERY UNLIKELY to be suspects are being treated like shit.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Okay I'm just wondering what the purpose of posting these things is?

Well, what's the point of discussing taxes? Or abortion? Or health care? Or commenting on anything that happens in our country? What's the point of having a political section? Why care about any of the things that affect the people who live in this country?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Gal, I did read the story about the breast cancer survivor. It broke my heart.

simple smileThank you for posting. I for one like the info.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• For you to get under my skin, I'd have to care what you think. I don't know who you are, I don't care what you think.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with Older.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 35 minutes ago

Gee, I am suprised by that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010