Can I color my hair at home, or will it be uneven? (read details)

I have very long, thick, curly hair, with lots of blonde highlights. And about 7 months of dark roots! I want to have my hair done, before the holidays, but can't afford a big salon trip. Can I buy hair dye at Walmart and do it myself? Or are all the blonde highlights going to show through too much? I'm thinking of going very dark, almost black.

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 2:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with karamille, but if beauty school is not an option, go to a beauty supply store, and get better quality hair color than what Wal-mart carries, and you can probably get some actual expert advice there.

Good Luck!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If you go that dark, the blond pieces will look gray/ashy. Not to mention you will probably need AT LEAST 3 boxes of hair color to saturate all of your hair. I would recommend looking in the phone book for a nearby beauty school and see if they can get you in today or tomorrow. They should be very reasonably priced (about the same as 3 boxes of hair color) , the instructors will help them formulate, and you will get all of your hair saturated with enough color. I would suggest doing a medium/light brown. Close to your natural color. That way if you can't afford to keep it up, it will blend nicely.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Going with such a dark color I would say you got a good chance of it coming out good! go for it!

Answer by older at 2:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• you shouldnt just go dark right away or the blonde will turn a gross color. you usually have to take the lighter brown or red stage in between depending on your hair then in a few days you can dye it the dark color that you want. i do this all the time, good luck
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think you'll be fine. Is there someone who can give you a hand?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2010