What to do with my cat? (long but really need opinions)

I have a calico cat, "Bella" that is about 9 years old that is absolutely bonkers. All as she does is meow, looooong meows, contantly. And when you pet her or give her attention it gets waaay worse. So we don't give her much attention because she's a freak. She is so afraid of everybody and everything. So bad that her hair just falls out all over the place. She has always been that way but has gotten worse since our other cat had to be put to sleep. We have a 2 year old black lab that the cat never adjusted to. We used to ahve them separated with baby gates but now that its time for the dog to have run of the house we can't do that anymore. We put Bella downstairs in our finished basement. I am busy with my kids a lot of times so she doesn't get much interaction. My husband wants to give her away or put her to sleep. I won't give her away to anyone unless its the perfect person (someone with no kids, animal fanatic, no pets, won't give her away). As far as putting her to sleep I don't know if I can consciously put a physically healthy (mentally she's nuts) animal to sleep. But my husbands reasoning is that she has no quality of life. She stays downstairs scared all the time. What do you think I should do? Do you have any suggestions?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Keep her or find her a good home. I doubt you could find a reputable vet that would euthanize a healthy pet.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't think a vet would put a healthy animal to sleep and that's not a good idea anyway. I'm sure there is someone who would want her.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes, if you haven't done it have her blood checked. Sounds like a hyperthyroid cat to me and medication...if that is the issue, can really help her out. Is she skinny and active too? Start with the bloodwork at your vet, it could make a big difference, and it will at the very least rule out behavior versus medical. Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My mom has cats that aren't social and stay under her bed all the time, but she doesn't just get rid of them.
    And If you pay a vet's office, they will put the animal to sleep. It doesn't matter if it's healthy. It's a business.
    I would suggest taking her to the vet and letting them run some tests! She may just be boored, or anxious or both.
    Cats are very touchy temperamental creatures.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Is she spayed? Have you had her checked out by the vet? Done blood work? I had a cat that was very affectionate with me but still very shy. She had been a semi feral cat when I adopted her from the shelter. Most of my friends called her the ghost cat because they never saw her and she spent her days under my bed. When she was 15 years old she stopped using the litter box which was very odd for her. We had her completely checked out and at that point found nothing wrong. We put her on Prozac as the last resort because I could not put her to sleep for this she was healthy as far as we knew. I wish I had done this years ago. The prozac not only fixed the litterbox isue but it made her calmer and less fearful. She would not run away if you approached her anymore and she even let my daughter pet her. That never happened unless I was holding Winnie she was scared of my daughter and would normally run away.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Thank you KyliesMom5! Your answer is very helpful!
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• UK did studies on indoor cats, it's very common for indoor cats to go nuts. Apparently their brains does not develope as properly as an outdoor cat does because of the lack of brain activity. Indoor cats also don't get to use all the instincts an outdoor cat does, which also makes them crazy.

Anyhow, i never would have seperated your cat & dog regardledd how much she hates the dog. Cats are cretures of habit & always adjust eventually. As long as your dog won't eat the cat, i would not hide her downstairs. She would have to adjust to the dog or hide under the couchor under the bed. I would not leave her in the basement, i think that's cruel. She probably cries for attention because she doesn't get any. Do you live in an area where she could go outside? At least she'll be happy if she can go out...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think you should give her away before she goes completely bald! HAHAHA! You know I am just kidding - I feel for you, especially with how my dog acts!
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would take her to the vet as others have said.

I have a 9 yr old black and white ball of furr and fear. She has always been kind of easy to frighten and has taken to living in my room. We even put a litter box and food in our bathroom so she wouldn't get picked on by the other cats. When she took to peeing in my bed, often right next to me as I slept, I took her to the vet. They did blood work and checked for a UTI. Nothing. So, the vet offered a medication for anxiety. It hasn't exactly worked wonders, but she is happier and has stopped peeing on my bed.

There are a number of medication options for pets these days. She might never be 100% friendly, but she might start to enjoy the attention you want to show her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Tara you are a fool and stop using my questions to get points!!!!!!!!
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010