can you make whipped cream from plain yogurt?

I have read a recipe for "whipped cream" just using sour cream, vanilla and an egg. Can I do the same with plain yogurt? Have a recipe to share?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You probably could, but it doesn't sound like it would taste good.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• well the sour cream version was pretty dang good! The vanilla certainly helped lol
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Try it, and let us know! I just use heavy whipping cream, vanilla and splenda or sugar.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Gross.

I think the really important thing about eating more healthfully is to select excellent, favourful and well-prepared actual food. Substituting 'trying to be' food is never satisfying, first because it assumes a level of numb and dull palate that is quite offensive, but second because if you're looking for whipped cream and instead of just eating a reasonable amount of it, you'll keep reaching for another thing that's not quite it over and over again until you've eaten far more than you would have if you'd just picked the cream in the first place.

I think there is also a basic mistrust of the body embedded in trying to 'trick' oneself instead of nurturing and feeding oneself with love, which I find disturbingly similar to outright eating disorders. I love Geneen Roth's discoveries in books like When Food Is Love about the vilification of specific perfectly innocent and healthful foods.

No food is evil.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Wow, that is quite an inference from a simple food & drink question, Linda. No one said any food is evil. Wow.

Owl, you'll never know unless you try it! I would never think of using sour cream but, you've got me wondering, I have a container of Daisy sitting in the fridge.................
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The recipes I found call for yogurt and whipping cream
    1/3 c. Heavy Whipping Cream
    1/3 c. Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt

Put ingredients into a bowl and wisk with electric wisk or mixer until fluffy and stiff. Do not over mix or whipped cream will separate.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010