"Herpes via latex glove ... ewwww,"

Those latex gloves Transportation Security Administration agents wear while giving airline passengers those infamous full-body pat-downs apparently aren't there for the safety and security of passengers – only the TSA agents. That's the word being discussed on dozens of online forums and postings after it was noted that the agents wear the same gloves to pat down dozens, perhaps hundreds, of passengers, not changing them even though the Centers for Disease Control in its online writings has emphasized the important of clean hands to prevent the exchange of loathsome afflictions. TSA officials in both national and regional offices declined to respond to inquiries about the policy for changing gloves to prevent an infection that may be on the clothes or body of one passenger during a pat-down by TSA agents from being transmitted to other passengers, including children, in line. "These thugs are protecting themselves from you. You need to be protected from them," she wrote. "In a hospital, nursing home, in-home care, or even labs, that would never even be considered an option." ABC reported one of its news employees documented how a TSA worker reached inside her underwear. "The woman who checked me reached her hands inside my underwear and felt her way around," the ABC employee said in the network's report. "It was basically worse than going to the gynecologist. It was embarrassing. It was demeaning. It was inappropriate." Read More Here

BTW ... new ABC poll now says that 50% say that the TSA "pat downs" go to far and 48% say they are justified.

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Linda, please prove that there are errors.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• This report is filled with factual errors and completely offensive spin.

This is straight-up irresponsible reporting designed to inflame rather than inform viewers, and is produced on the absolute belief that viewers are terminally stupid and gullible.

Prove that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I guess Linda can't prove her OPINIONS! LOL Besides, seeing as the liberal ABC (All Barack Channel) network is reporting this, I'm more inclined to believe it! Why? Based on the videos I've seen that illustrate the new scanning and enhanced pat down procedures, I have yet to see a TSA change their gloves in between passenger checks, they move right on to the next person in line!

All the more reason for passengers to INSIST that before the "safety grope," that the TSA change their gloves...that ought to expedite the boarding process!! (sarcasm)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• That's it! I don't plan to fly again for a very long time.

I am a nurse, and I probably change my gloves 2-4 times while I'm in one patient's room, depending on what I'm doing. I wash my hands between patients. If they are using the same pair of gloves for that many people, that is completely unacceptable.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• New airline tag line will become fly our friendly skies and BYOG..bring your own glove!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• "This report is filled with factual errors and completely offensive spin.

This is straight-up irresponsible reporting designed to inflame rather than inform viewers, and is produced on the absolute belief that viewers are terminally stupid and gullible."

Please elaborate.

DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• throwing upAppalling

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Apparently it is NOT TSA policy to change gloves in between enhanced pat downs/gropes...but as the following reporter suggests, "it should!" Ya think?!

I guess it's up to the screener to decided when to change them.  And I am assuming that would only be before/after breaks and shift changes.  Ew!

"Latex glove issues might seem minor, but there ought to be procedures to require TSA screeners to don fresh gloves each time they encounter a new passenger."

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/homeland-security/130239-enhanced-pat-downs-and-latex-gloves-how-often-do-screeners-change-them

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well not surprising IMO. Another reason to protest what the TSA is doing. Not only are they raping us of our liberties now they are being disgusting and passing diseases possibly. Yeah I am boycotting.
    chotovec82

Answer by chotovec82 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would think that it would be required to change gloves if it comes in contact with a passenger's skin. Think of how easy it is to pass some things along. I wouldn't doubt that it would be much easier to pass along a flesh eating disease to an unknown amount of passengers just by touching one person who carries the virus. The TSA is really setting themselves up for a huge amount of litigation if they don't change their policy and procedures.   And then we will see the results of that in higher airfares.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010