When should babies start drinking water?

My babe is almost 9 months and eating plenty of rice cereal and oatmeal cereal and pureed vegetables. I mix the cereals with water, and it seems to me he's a little thirsty after his meals. Sometimes he'll insist on nursing after his solids. Is it okay to give him water in a sippy cup?

Tentaculata

Asked by Tentaculata at 10:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is 9 months he could drink water now :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• **HE
    MaiasMommy619

• You are already giving him water in the cereal; try giving him some formula. My hospital and ped told me to not give water until 1 year old (it can be fatal to a baby). Formula or breastmilk is the only lisuid they need. (I would even try juice before giving water)
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I started to give my daughter water as per my doctor at 5 months old. Not like a gallon worth, but 2-4 oz at first. Its totally harmless...
    Anonymous

• Definitely. I started giving my daughter a sippy cup with juice and water (to dilute) when she was 6-7 months. When she was around 2 months I would give her a little water after giving her a bottle because it would look like she had cotton mouth so bad. lol
    Yungmom_17

Answer by Yungmom_17 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I thought you were suppossed to feed bottle/boob first then give solids......boob juice is 80% water. Formula...who knows
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I have a 12 week old and some times if he is grunting and trying to poop for hours, and i mean hours or a couple days, the doctor told me it is okay to mix some water and apple juice. So soemtimes once a day we give him a 3 once mix, 1 once apple juice, 2 onces water. And he is fine. My family has given water with a little bit of dark karo syrup in it for generations for constipation. And dozens of us are still alive....but I use the juice instead because the karo is a sugar and when breaks down can cause gas bubbles and colicky crying and stuff.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008