what's up with animal shelters?

Why is it such a process to adopt an animal? I do understand that some people are mean, and would not be a suitable owner. But to adopt an animal, it's such a process, then they want you to go to thier classes for 7 weeks once a week. What if you know how to train your animal? My family is currently looking for a dog to buy, and I would love to adopt a poor homeless dog from the shelter, but I'm leaning more against it, because I don't want to put up with the hassle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Shelter dogs really are wonderful animals, but I understand where you're coming from. They don't require classes here (as far as I know!).
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I soooooo understand. My Mom tried to rescue this persian cat last year and they needed to do 3 home visits.... wth? I guess it's to discourage bad folks. It's just like kids, in the foster/adoption system. They'd rather keep them in cages than send them to good loving homes it seems.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• 7 weeks once a day? That's months and months. I have a hard time believing that.

Anonymous

• Good question. Did you ask if they have a test you can take to opt out of the training class so you can adopt a dog. Do they chare a fee for this class? I appreciate that they are trying to educate to decrease the chances of returned pets, but I agree that they need to take educated pet owners who are trying to do the right thing and adopt a family pet into consideration too. I think most rescues have a process that is too rigid and they often do pass up good homes for deserving pets.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not sure about that one. I adopted my guy from a shelter outside Paducah. I think I gave the guy 25.00. He turned out to be the best dog I have ever owned. Did you search on Petfinder.com? 7 week classes, that's more than what it takes to become an actual parent! YIKES!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sorry Guys I mean 7 weeks one day a week
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Strange!!!We adopted a cat and did not have anything like that,the only thing we had to do was in a week have the cat fixed.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 3:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• OMG, I can't believe that. I would be plenty frustrated too! I think the no kill shelters are so much harder then an SPCA. I adopted my cat from the Houston SPCA and I just had to fill out a form and pay. They fixed him before I could take him home. My other two animals I bought without adopting. Maybe they should consider easing up on these policies because there is alot of overcrowding at shelters these days!
    nbaker1227

Answer by nbaker1227 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• We didn't have to do any of that. We just filled out the paperwork and were on our way. I guess it depends on where you adopt from. I'd search around see if you can find anyplace that works better for you. Perhaps check out Petsmart or something?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh, and we had to pay of course, lol.
    bandgeek521