Needing help paying for hospital bills! advice?

So here's the story my baby was born two months ago and my husband and I were under the assumption the Indian Health Service or my husbands tribe would pay for the delivery, my husband assumed they would. And we all know what happens when we assume things! So we finally got ahold of them and they say they wont pay. I talked to the hospital and they gave us a 55% discount, does anyone have any other suggestions of how to get the bill paid for. At the time we didn't have insurance at all, now we do, we got alot smarter in the past couple months!! HELP???

courtcaton

Asked by courtcaton at 3:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• The only things I can think of are take out a bank loan, take out a 401K loan (if it is allowed), charge it on a credit card, borrow money from family/friends and pay them back. Although your best bet would be to call the hospital and set up a payment plan with them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Make payments each month. Even if you are only sending $20 a month, they can't send you to collections. There won't be interest, or shouldn't be anyway. I've never seen interest on medical bills.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Make a payment plan. Unless you are absolutely in need I don't see any reason to continue to try to get the entire bill covered. You used the services. :) You went in uninsured and should be pleased with a 55% discount.
    Anonymous

• do some research for where you live some state heath care will retro but you need to find out asap.. such as medicade.. hope you get the help you guys need, the health care system sucks these days!!!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My daughter had lots of hospital visits this year. We were in debt w/the hospital so bad, I thought it was never gonna be paid off. haha

anyways, When I found out she needed her tonsils/adenoids out...We had to do lots of business stuff, insurance etc...Well, they offered some grant thing...and they said we should apply for it-and so we did, and we got all our bills taken care of, including the surgery. So now we owe nothing. It's nice. You could see if they offer something like that. We have insurance too...but we still got this grant thing.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Most hospitals will accept a payment plan, talk to them, explain the situation. They may even be able to point you in the direction of agencies that offer assistance.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• As long as you are sending in a little something they won't bother you.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree as long as you send something they will not bother you. You can also look into the state you live and see if there is anything they can do. Like state insurance.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• In 2003 when my husband and I had our first child, we assumed we had health insurance. He had just started a new job and his benfits were supposed to kick in a week prior to my scheduled c section delivery. Our papers got turned in late and we ended up not having any coverage---we got a giant hospital bill instead. Here's what we did....

Apparently, hospitals have so much money set aside each year for charitable donations. We filled out an application to recieve some of those donations and we got them. Our whole bill was taken care of. It was such a blessing. Call the hospital's billing department and ask if your hosptial has a program like we benefited from. It's worth a shot. Best of luck to you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 4:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sounds like you've had the bill compromised already. Just keep making payments so it shows a good faith effort.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010