What are some tips to stop thumbsucking?

18jackie

Asked by 18jackie at 3:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol. I never stopped my daughter. Rest assured, she is 22 and DOES NOT suck her thumb anymore... to my knowledge. She stopped when she was ready. I never found it that bad. Her teeth are fine, her thumb was a little flat for awhile, but it's normal too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• They used to sell something called bitter apple that you put on their thumb. When they would try to suck their thumb it would give a really bad taste and they wouldn't do it anymore.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• NOTHING!! Let her stop when she is ready to stop. Thumb sucking is a self soothing method. She WILL stop when she is ready and not before. My friend tried hot sauce and the bitter apple stuff with her kid and her kid started to like the taste.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• eatable paint
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 9:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Distract.. thats all u can do until they are over it. My parents put this nasty tasting stuff on my thumbail. YUKK lol.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• what worked for my son was a picture a dentist showed him
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:18 AM on Nov. 25, 2010