Why?

Why do you guys vote people down just because they say something you disagree with? Like in the heaven post, many people said "I don't know" and weren’t voted down, but one or two people were, like they have a down vote stalker. And the people who said "Jesus" got voted down, even if they weren't being rude? I think the only time you should vote someone down is if they are being rude or something like that, not because they believe something different than you. This happens against everyone, it isn't just non-Christians against Christians or visa versa, it is on both sides. So much for tolerance and getting along. You all like to play the martyr, yet you judge and hate just like everyone else. And no, I wasn't voted down, that is not why I am posting this, and it's not just about down votes, it is a reflection of how people really feel and act, maybe even in real life too. I am just tired of people saying others are prejudice against them because of their religion, yet they have prejudice against other religions and treat those others like crap, even if that person never did anything to them. Exactly what they blame others for.
~Love ~ Peace ~ Coexists~

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think the only time you should vote someone down is if they are being rude or something like that,

This is the only reason I vote down.  If they are swearing, unjustifiably prejudiced, cruel, etc.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 3:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh, I totally agree. I don't understand why people vote down answers that aren't rude, especially when they're merely opinions. Its like some people have stalkers who vote them down just because of who they are. It bothers me to see comments that are perfectly acceptable getting voted down for no apparent reason. I usually go behind and vote up anyone I see who's been voted down for no reason, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I vote down for various reasons- and yes... one of them is an answer of a differing opinion than I have and I see nothing wrong with that. I don't agree and I want to express that. Why is that so bad?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The downvote button is "supposed" to be used for answers that either do not try to answer the question (i.e. troll answers) or that are rude/obnoxious, etc. It isn't supposed to be used for simple disagreement. However, most aren't using it the correct way. I personally hate having a down button, and I have only voted down 2 or 3 answers that were really awful. That's it.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Isn't that what the vote up/down feature is about? Voting up the replies you agree with and down those you don't?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree. I was so ticked off yesterday that i got voted down for the "letting your child have a TV in their room" question

I said "yes she does, but needs permission to watch it" and i got voted down A LOT.

Had they said they would vote anyone down who did allow their child a TV in their room, I WOULD NOT HAVE ANSWERED! I just don't expect to get voted down for something so mundane and for something so black & white. Why ask a question just to vote down anyone who does something different than you? LAME!

Yeah, I was being a big baby about it, but now that i know i get points taken away....it ticks me off. Sometimes i expect a vote down, that is different. Not with "yes" or "no" questions. People are mean....

FYI, i don't vote down for differing opinions ever, not on my questions, not on others. I only vote down if someone is being rude or out of line.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Welcome to cafejudgement. There have been people voted down for simply saying they had a certain number of kids before age 25 and were all voted down (no matter the number). Or for stating their favorite color. It happens, at least in this section it seems to be a little more civilized than in other sections like PC&E and Parenting sections. You just learn to let it roll. Points aren't taken away for downvotes anymore unless you post anonymously(or get a 6 downvotes and no upvotes) so it doesn't matter much anyways. It's just a difference of opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions, everyone has them and they all stink.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I vote down answers i don#t agree with. Doesn't mean they're rude, just means i think they're wrong. That's what it's for.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• why would you vote down someone with a differing opinion from yours...if everyone was the same this world would be REALLY boring!
    I think the vote downs should be used only if someone is being rude or mean...it doesnt seem right to use it any other way- especially if people will lose points for getting voted down

If you don't like an opinion-discuss it more ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree that it is childish to vote someone down because you don't like what they say, even though they aren't being rude. I think it's a stretch to call that hating, but I agree with what you are saying.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010