Need side dish recipe for non-cooker

I cook the basics like spaghetti & tacos. I don't really do home made or anything elaborate. I usually stop by the store and take something for Thanksgiving / Christmas dinners. But I would love to take something this year that I can say I made. So what is really good and easy and a non-cooker could do and not mess up? Thanks ladies!

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 3:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/pumpkin-soup-with-chili-cran-apple-relish-recipe/index.html

This is super, super easy and it's a hit every time. They will think you're a genius and total Grand Master Chef!!!

BTW...forget the cranapple relish...not worth the trouble.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cranberry-walnut-slaw/Detail.aspx

This is a great festive coleslaw recipe. I used seasoned rice vinegar and it was a total hit. Now my family inisists that I bring it.

Make sure to mix the dressing seperate and dress about 30 minutes before eating.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If you can make those, you can follow any other recipe you can find. Make anything with simple, good ingredients, and you'll produce a more impressive dish with less effort than you think.

Here's our family fave --even the kids pick the onions out special to eat even before it makes it to the table:

Roasted Root Vegetables

Peel and cube the roots you like (we use yams, carrots, beets, parsnips) --way more than you'd think because they shrink a lot. To serve 12 plus leftovers, I use three big yams, 3 pounds of beets, 2 pounds of carrots, 2 pounds of parsnips. Peel and chop 3 pounds of onions: cut in 1/8s lengthwise. Peel and leave in whole cloves 2 -5 heads of garlic (depending on how much you like roasted garlic).

Toss everything with 3tbsp of dried herbs (basil, rosemary, tarragon or oregano) and 1/2c olive oil to coat. Bake @350 for an hour, stirring a few times. Reheats well.

Leftovers make great soup, stew or pot pie.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Watergate Salad

1 sm box Pistachio pudding mix

9 oz cool whip

16 oz crushed pineapple, not drained

1 cup mini marshmallows

1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)

Mix dry pudding with cool whip and blend thoroughly. Stir in marshmalloow, add pineapple and finally the nuts. Mix well. Place in bowl and set in refrigerator overnight. Some people garnish with maraschino cherries but I never have. When I take this for potluck I double the recipe
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010