Dear moms, my baby has a tongue-tie that a doctor diagnosed as "moderate" and suggested we do the procedure to cut it, although he said that tongue-tie may not affect the baby later. I am sceptical of this procedure. Anyone has had it done? Any side affects? Would you advise for or against it? Thank you. Olga

olivia101510

Asked by olivia101510 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it won't affect your child then it's an unnecessary procedure and I wouldn't do the surgery.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• None of my kids have had this, but a friend's son did. It was very quick and very easy with virtually no recovery time.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh, and my dad's tongue is moderately tied. It doesn't affect his eating or his speaking, but my mother (when she was sharing too much information) mentioned that my dad's tied tongue did affect "adult" activities and that my dad wished he had had it taken care of when he was a child. So, just something to think about for when you child is an adult . . .
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• How old is your baby? My son is almost 7 months old and tongue tied. Our Dr. told us that if it hinders his eating in any way then he would have to have it snipped. Thankfully he is doing extremely well with eating and we don't foresee any problems yet. She also told us when he gets older we may notice it effecting his speech but to wait it out. Im curious to see the answers to your post! Good luck to you!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh and to add.. .My DF (My sons father) he is moderately tied as well, never had his tongue snipped and he does just dine with eating as well as speaking.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• *Fine.. sorry Im sleepy :)
    TsMommy428

• my little sister had it when she was born, and it didnt affect her at all, well she kinda slurrs her words but shes fine
    pumpkinqueen

Answer by pumpkinqueen at 4:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The major important thing it can effect right *now* is nursing. Even a moderate tongue tie can make nursing painful, or even impossible.

Midwives used to keep their pinky fingers long so they could snip a tongue tie easily right at birth. They'd just sweep their finger under babies tongue and viola! For newborns it's basically painless, no recovery time... better to get it taken care of now, it's not major surgery or anything.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not a clue..bumping for you, though. Good luck!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I had them clip my ds tounge when he was 3 weeks. Actually it was a laser. He barely cried. It helped tremendously. If you wait until they are older it can cause a lisp.
    Mena929

Answer by Mena929 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010