Do moms talk about their kids to others way more than dads?

My big brother, 4 years older, has one child and is a single dad. When all of our family gets together and ask him how his son is doing and what he's been up to, it is like pulling teeth to get him to talk about him and his reply is always, nothing much. His son is in 5th grade. We recently found out through is ex-wife that his son has been involved in many exciting things. Violin, chess club, science club, an A+ in math, ran his first ever 5k for breast cancer awareness, and is taking up basketball as a sport. This is confusing for us because my brother has his son 4 days per week and mentioned none of these things. My brother has no problem discussing himself and what he's been up to, hobbies he's doing, etc. So, just wondering if any of you think that it's mostly moms who like to gloat on their children and that my brother is more the norm for dads?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say that is pretty normal, moms love to brag, men talk about sports, or finances.....

Answer by older at 4:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• In most cases I have seen, it is the mom. However, my Husband and I both talk about Our Son A LOT..but then again, He is such an amazing Kid that there is a lot to say/brag about! We are both very proud Parents, so neither one of Us holds back. ;D
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• That's what I thought AJ. I too brag alot about my own two children and given all of my nephews accomplishments, I don't see why my brother would hold back that information from his own family. Especially when it's very difficult to get updates on his son from his ex-wife. She doesn't feel comfortable keeping in touch with us. Any other ideas of how to "pull" info out of my brother about his son?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• probably so
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 5:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Maybe it's difficult for him to open up about it because of the situation? Scared of how the ex will react to him sharing the info, for some reason? Or maybe he doesn't even know much about his son? I don't know what else to think..it doesn't sound good for him, though. I really don't think you'll be able to get it out of him if he hasn't shared already..it might just push him away if you try, ya know?
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 7:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• my husband talks about aour kids constantly...lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2010