how can i stop my 3 year old from misbehaving at daycare?

my 3 yr old son luke hits, bites, scratches etc. at daycare and he is very close to being expelled! i have tried everything! please help...he doesnt act like that at home.

amanda6197

Asked by amanda6197 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is it around certain kids, or towards certain children that he is doing this? I used to work at a day care center, and we had a little boy who was doing the same things. We found that he was doing it out of anger because he was being bullied by another student. We ended up having to separate the two into different classes and the problem was solved. Of course this is just what happened in this particular situation, but its just something to think about! GL to you! I hope someone has a better answer for you!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Could you spend a day or two with him? That way you can watch very closely and see why this is happening. A three year old usually knows it is not appropriate to do those things. I also would have the day care set up a positive reinforcement chart. Where he gets a sticker at the end of the day if he has not done these things. At the end of 3 or 5 days with stickers, you could tell him he is going to get to go get an ice cream or something.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Tell him that if he isn't good & does any of those bad things that you will take away his favorite toy & leave it out for the Garbage Man to take to the dump or that you are going to give it to a good, well behaved boy who lives around the corner. Then when he is bad, take it away & hide it. Let him have a fit of despair then make him apologize & say he will not do those things. Do it every time & he will learn quick what consequences of bad behavior are. Don't give the toy back right away, maybe later that day or night. He is just in the terrible threes :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• As a preschool teacher, we see this behavior more than we would like. I agree with TSmommy428 I think that there is an underlying problem and that is reason he is acting out. The behavior will continue if you don't find the source. Talk to the teacher and the director to see if you can come up with a solution.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 5:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i agree, there is a reason that your kiddo is acting up... be it another child in the class or disliking the teacher, but there is something. you need to discuss this... and make sure you tell them that he is not like this at home... is he around other kids at home? or just while at preschool... could be attention if he is never around other kids.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• something is happening there for him to act out. He either doesn't like someone there or he sees that behavior from other kids and is copying it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010