My baby has a flat head!!!

He's two months old and the back right side of his head is flat! I give him tons of belly time. I hold him on my chest when I can. Now when he's in his swing (which is a lot due to potty training his brother), I put a towel on one side of his head so he doesn't lay on the flat side. I know that I have to switch arms when I feed him because that's probably a big part of the problem.

Did your kid's flat head eventually even out?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My best friends daughter had a flat head. Hers lasted a pretty long time but it did round out sometime after she turned one I think. It will round out, it just may take time.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Most of the time it does but sometimes it does not. I would consult your doctor with your concerns so they can watch it. One of my daughters had this problem. The doctor had us consult with an orthopedist who did some measurements & kept track for a few months. It did not resolve on its own & she had to wear an orthopedic helmet for a year to help even it out. It only corrected it 50% but now that she has more hair you can not visibly see it. You can tell if you feel it though. If we had waited till she was a year old there would have been nothing they could do about it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 5:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• so if I bring it up at his 2 month apt....we should be fine?
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes. That when I asked about it actually.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 5:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think that's normal. If I remember correctly, I had these same thoughts for each of my three kids...then I finally remembered that it was normal! lol.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Gently grazing your hand over the whole head in the first 3 months helps round it, My dd has the same issue, the dr. said she is fine tho.. I would check with ur ped. if you think it's too flat. but it's very common and USUALLY nothing serious. =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2010