Do you think people take to much at face value now a days?

I was just awarded a "BA" on a question and I honestly didn't remember exactly what I had said (it was from Sept) so I went back to see what I said and what the other answers were...

Anyways, I was reading though a lot of the answers and I was honestly shocked by the amount of answers by people who obviously had never so much as read up on the issue. No one is an expert on everything, I understand that, but I feel like people hear one news story, read one article or hear one rumor and are happy to take it as fact and simply ignore everything else, or simply not look for other opinions or whatnot...

Differences of opinion are simply a part of being different people - got it... But to not even make sure you have both sides of the argument before deciding your position to me is either naive or lazy...

What do you think? Do people (IYO) take to much on faith or at face value rather than taking 10 mins to make sure they are getting two sides of the issue... I personally can't imagine watching the news or reading an article and assuming they aren't at least leaning to one side or another, so I at least take everything with a grain of salt (or two).

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do believe many are quick to accept things that they have heard through others as fact, especially if that info also happens to support their particular POV. Sometimes it seems like a bad game of telephone. I will admit that I am quick to dismiss any story that appears "over-the-top."

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Of course.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes, that is how Obama got elected.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yep and I see ignorance on people from both sides of an issue. I rarely ever come across someone who "truly" understands both sides... honestly I wonder how likely that really is. Most of us have set opinions on things and thus tend to ignore anything that we feel is "on the other side" of the argument.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 5:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Seems to be the norm for the right. If it is sent in an email or read on the internet it is fact. lol
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 6:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think people would rather find a news source that validates their opinion, rather than finding multiple news sources that validate the truth. I also think that sources are automatically written off when it is about a topic they have already made a decision about, regardless of whether or not their decision was based on fact or prejudice.

And to trippyhippy ... I see this on BOTH sides of the isle.
    Anonymous

• I think a lot of people only look at the side they believe in. I don't think it is that they don't want to take the time to, but that they figure they are right and that is the people who don't agree are wrong so they don't need to know their views,.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010