How often do your kids get nose bleeds?

My 2 1/2 year old gets nose bleeds about once or twice every three months or so. They always seem to happen when I'm not in the room, and sometimes in the middle of the night. I don't know if this normal or something to be concerned about.

MommySteph06

Asked by MommySteph06 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Most nosebleeds are normal and caused by one of two things...overdryness of the nasal mucous membranes..or nose picking. With my son and now with my grandspon I put vaseline on the tip of a qtip and run it around inside the nostril on each side once or twice a day in the winter..that is usually when they are worse.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think his is caused by nose picking because he will have blood all over his fingers, but I'm not sure.
    MommySteph06

Comment by MommySteph06 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My son usually gets them every few weeks or so once we start running the heat. Now we keep a humidifier in the kids rooms and it helps.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Has there been any testing to see if the child is anemic?

Some people have weak blood vessels in their noses --to the point that I've known people who could hold their breath and start their nose bleeding (usually as a way to get out of class), and some need to get those vessels cauterized to stop it from happening more and more.

My kids never had nose bleeds.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have 2 boys, ages 4 & 3 years... And we've only ever had one nose bleed - which was caused by a boot to the face from his brother. Beyond that, nothing, never.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No, they haven't tested him for anything like that. They usually stop fairly quickly. I don't know if that's a hint as to what's causing it or not...
    MommySteph06

Comment by MommySteph06 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• my niece gets them frequently. My brother (her dad) did as a kid too
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• never... unless theypick their noses...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Op..If they stop quickly I wouldn't worry about it. Just try to keep the nose more moist..vaseline, humidifier, nasal saline spray..all good ways. I've just found the vaseline to work best.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't know what to tell you. My daughter is almost 3 and never had one. Are you prone to them? I've hardly ever had one, and could probably count on one hand the number of times I have.. so I'm not really familiar with them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2010