Eating habits

My DS is 3 and he likes to eat only certain food cooked a certain way. We try to get him to eat other food and lately we make something and tell him to eat it or nothing else. He eats bfast bc its usually cereal and his teacher said hes started to eat lunch at school(he never did before bc he's so picky) so why isn't he trying anything at home? I even tried to make something similar to what they had at school and nothing. Any suggestions as to what to do for him to try new foods?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 5:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At school, he wants to be like his classmates.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• He's been in school for 3 months and knows that if he doesn't want to eat he doesn't have to. So he usually sits there and drinks his milk. He only started eating when we started giving him things to eat and telling him he eats that or nothing else. idk it could be that but how does that help me at home?? lol
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• my 4 year old eats lunch at school everyday, her whole plate I am told. she does at home now too, but there was a time she wouldn't and I'd wonder if the teacher was lying to me or something lol! but i realize that she ate at school because everyone else did and she didn't want to be the odd one out. i would just continue being firm about eat this or go hungry, unless it's something you KNOW he doesn't like. but if he's just being stubborn about it, then tell him maybe he will be hungry for breakfast in the morning. i did this several nights with my 4 year old when she was 3 and she never starved, she either stuck to her guns or caved and eventually ate it, and half the time she admitted she liked it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I work at a school and see this all of the time. Children will eat when they get hungry. Kids at this age are very picky, they might like something one time and not the other.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 5:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I do not agree with letting kids skip dinner. I would let him pick things out of a cookbook he might try. Let him help be the chef and make dinner. Make things he is interested in and maybe add an ensure drink along with dinner. Fruit salad if he likes. Try to make things that can be in dipped like carrots, peppers, celery., my oldest will only eat veg that are raw. Just make dinner fun and he might ate more than you think. Carrots when cooked mine like with brown sugar and maple syrup. Just hang in there and keep trying.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• your kid isn't going to starve... maybe he's eating at school finally because he's hungry and needs to eat... i don't force my kids to try anything, i suggest and reward if they do... but i don't force it on them. if they don't want what we have for dinner, they may choose something else, and HELP mama make it. usually they give in and eat what they are given. kids go through phases... don't forget that. it could be just showing you whos in charge.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• my dd used to do this to me too! Little stinkers
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I've just always put new things in front of my son and he'll try them.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• YAY!! He ate some turkey yesterday! and a roll we called it a muffin bc it looked like the miffns he had a school! :)
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My daughter is the pickiest eater alive. This too (I hope), shall pass o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:29 AM on Nov. 27, 2010