Does my marriage to my husband count since I'm his second wife?

he was married with his first wife though church many years ago and divorced shortly after and we were married through city hall my question is does this make me an adulterer and him as well in the eyes of the lord confused :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• WHy would you be adulterers? your married . Its not like he was sleeping with you while he was married to his wife..
    It counts YOur married and it doesn't matter who married you just as long as they have the authority too do it
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Do you think it counts? That is all that should matter.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• guess it depends on what religion you follow.
    Anonymous

• Depends on what religion he or you are and how they went through their divorce was it annuled by the church if catholic. They say ours isn't legal since my dh is catholic and he didn't have his annuled. He says he was never legally married to his ex since she wasn't really divorced from her 1st ex so who knows.. I am married in my eyes that's all that matters
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Depends on your religion. Some say yes, some say no. No-one can actually call god and ask.

According to the bible, the only legitimate reason for divorce is adultery. Anything except that means he's still, and always will be married to his first wife.

Why didn't you think about this bbefore you married?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It depends on your religion, or more, your denomination. However, generally, no you wouldn't be seen as an adulterer, he was divorced, he was no longer in that marriage, PERIOD... You are now married... It's that simple...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• That is a touchy question. However I believe it is in 1st or 2nd Corinthians that mentions the husband releasing the wife. In so doing it frees you to marry. I cannot find it at this time but I know it is there because a friend told me about it when my husband chose to divorce me
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• technically yes, but the Bible was written for how things were at the time and its been said that some of what it teaches are no longer culturally appropriate... technically the Bible is for polygamy and against interracial marriage too. the Bible is supposed to be about God's love for his children and not a wedding manual thats why its like this
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Wait. Were you screwing around with him while he was still married to his first wife? If not, then no. I mean, unless the Bible has some screwed definition of adultery that I don't know about. Because to my knowledge, adultery means you are screwing around with another person while married (or in a relationship) with someone else.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• no we didn't even know each other when they were married or divorced and my religion is Christianity but he was married in catholic church and now hes born again Christan and ive never been married before him......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010