• In the Spotlight:

Showering with 3 year old.. would this bug you??

While my MIL was visiting-we were all getting ready to head out somewhere and I went to check on my daughter.. noticed it was taking her an awfully long time to pick out some clothes.. Then her and my MIL come out of the bathroom both in towels and she just nonchalantly says "We took a quick shower." This just doesnt sit right with me. I pulled her aside after she got her clothes on and I told her I don't really feel comfortable with her showering with my daughter. It wasnt anything against her but she is a curious 3 year old and the only person she has seen naked is me, because i'm mommy. She got really offended by it and said she doesn't see what the big deal is but "whatever". Just wondering how other moms feel about these things?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't be happy about that either! She should have at least asked if it was OK and your answer would have been no!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think she should have asked you first, but I do not think it is a big deal if the child showers with grandma. Nudity is not really an issue for me.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If you are uncomfortable, you are uncomfortable, and what you say goes. That said she probably thought it would be fine, and I wouldn't stew on it so long as she doesn't do it again, or cop an attitude about it.

FWIW I don't think I'd want a non parent showering with my three year old either.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 5:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• That would definitely bug me! My 3 year old only showers with DH or I, no one else!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I feel the same as sleepingbeautee. Nudity isn't really an issue for me either, however, I think that's something she should have asked you about. And as annabellelee said, you are the mom, so you have the right to be uncomfortable and say something. I don't think your child is harmed or anything by seeing another woman naked, but I still hope your MIL respects your wishes.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Family or not, YOU are the parent, and no one should take it upon themselves to bathe your child or be nude in front of your child or with your child without at least clearing it with you first... How hard would it have been for her to say "Hey, is this okay?" I personally don't think it would bother me, but it would bother me that she took it upon herself when I was there. Had she been watching the girl or had she been spending the weekend at grams... That would have been different because she most likely raised her kids that way... But being you were there, all she had to do was say something and you could have said yes or no...

Most likely, she didn't think twice about it. When she was raising kids that would have been the norm. But today, things are different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Nudity isnt really a big thing here, but I would have been upset if she did it without asking first.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't want my kids to shower with anyone but me or daddy. It's not anything against nudity, because we have zero issue with nudity in our house. It's just beyond my comfort zone.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i wouldnt let my DD or DS take a shower with anyone but me ! and @ age 2 i stopped takin showers with my DS but it was my son not him with my MIL ... I would talk to her and tell her you don't think thats a good idea and that shouldnt be happening
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 5:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My mil did the same thing with my son!!!! But, she said she kept her bra and underwear on...whatever...still gross
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010