blood pressure a little high and leaking some protein

So I found out yesterday at my doctor appt that my blood pressure was 142 over 80. I also learned that apparently I have been leaking some protein in my urine for I guess almost my whole pregnancy (they didn't really say for how long). I had to see a midwife instead of my regular ob cuz she wasn't there. She told me that I may be diagnosed with pre eclampsia depending on how my next few bp were. I'm a little concerned. Is this a big deal? I am 36 weeks and have a c section scheduled in December at 39 weeks. Any opinions and information are helpful. Thanks.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 5:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, it's normal to have a small spike in BP at the end of pregnancy, and if you have been spilling proteins the whole pregnancy that is not a symptom of pre-e. Pre-e is a BP of at least 140/90 AND protein of +3 in a 24 hour collection, not one high BP reading and protein present throughout pregnancy.

I suggest getting on the Brewer Diet immediately, though. It's a very healthy diet and is widely known to prevent BP problems in pregnancy. The fact that you've been spilling protein might mean that you are not eating right and it's damaging your muscles and kidneys. When you don't eat enough and eat healthy foods your body breaks down muscle tissue to feed itself and this comes out as ketones in your urine, which damages your kidneys.

Brewer Diet, for real.

Also, may I ask why you have a C-section scheduled?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Talk to your OB with your concerns
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 5:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I second the Brewer Diet! My doula suggested it and it really did help me. I only high BP (moderately high) for the last week. Whereas my other pregnancies I had full fledged pre-e and was on bedrest. So definitely try the Brewer Diet!
    And I know pre-e can get serious, but for me it wasn't that big of a deal. I had to start my maternity leave early and was on modified bed rest (spent most of my day laying around but all day, every day). I didn't have to be induced or sectioned or anything.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well I guess I've had some high bp on and off this pregnancy and with my first. I am having a c section because I had to have an emergency one with my first. She's having me go to the office tomorrow to get my bp checked.
    Bamzakarat

Comment by Bamzakarat (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Honestly I would only talk to your OB about what you should do... I would not take advice from people here on cafemom. I suffered from severe preeclampsia that later turned into HELLP syndrome. I had to have an emergency c-section at 30 weeks... So just listen to your doctor's advice...
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Doctors don't give evidence-based advice about BP problems most of the time. They usually recommend a low- sodium diet, which is just about the worst thing you can do for BP during pregnancy (PIH is nNOT the same as regular high bp, and cannot be treated the same way). Brewer Diet or SPUN diet I'm not kidding.

if you had a low transverse incision you are probably a candidate for VBAC, which is safer than a repeat C-section. Something to consider :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If you want to work to be as healthy as possible, for you & baby:
    Avoid the unnecessary cesarean and get on the Brewer Diet.

If your doctor is not good at informing you of these basics you might look for a better provider.
    :-(

Lots of help-support-info-encouragement available...
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2010