Having your 4yr old evaluated for Special Ed?

2 weeks into preschool, my DS' teacher wanted to have him evaluated for special ed. I reluctantly agreed because I want him to succeed in school and I want school to be a positive experience for him.

Today, I get a call from the Special Ed teacher saying that my DS scored "Extremely High" on his IQ test and wants me to meet with the Director of the K-12 Gifted and Talented Program. I agreed to the meeting.

What would you ladies do in this situation?
Any advice?

MotoStar

Asked by MotoStar at 5:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i agree, i would think that maybe there is a boredome issue that is causing some sort of attention span issue in regular classes. i would be happy and see what they have to say. my big bro had the same thing happen... they said he was slow... but come to find out he was just BORED working at a regular school pace. he graduated 2 years early on his own...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I work at an elementary school and to me it sounds maybe like a behavior issure especially if he scored high enough for the talented or gifted program. Sometimes kids who get bored act out or dont want to do anything in class because they arent challenged. Also when people hear the term "special ed class" they think they worst, but working at a school made me completely change my mind, special ed kids can be kids who are on grade level but need more one on one attention or kids who cant focus in a large group it doesnt have to mean disability. Id say get as much info as you can and try and get a meeting with the people who say he scored high and his pre k teacher all together so you can see both view points and they being professionals can talk with you to come up with the most effective way for your child to get his learning on =)
    RhiannaSanchez

Answer by RhiannaSanchez at 5:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'd go forth with the meeting
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Wow to go from special ed to gifted - good to intervene early. Keep the little one engaged ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• go to the meeting & see what they have to say!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Go to the meeting, see what they have to say!!!

Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010