What's the difference between dressing and stuffing?

(I ask b/c someone answered another question of mine by insisting that they are not the same, while simultaneously totally failing to say why!)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 5:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• As a former Certified Executive Chef, and Culinary Instructor in Food History, I actually did some research on this-from historical culinary texts-not the internet. I had always heard that stuffing is inside the bird, dressing is outside, and that's the most accepted traditional answer-but it is still a matter of opinion. Either can have eggs-or not. It's not a matter of the ingredients, neither is it a matter of consistency or crumb, but where it is cooked. That being said, in many parts of the country, the term that your mother called it is probably what you call it, so it's a regional colloquial term. For instance, in some parts of the South, it's called dressing-whether it's inside the bird or out. Call it what you feel comfortable with, Thanksgiving is a time for family traditions, and we each have our own. It's not a time to be insisting that we all adhere to one opinion.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Technically, if you stuff the bird with it you refer to it as stuffing & if you cook it on the side its called dressing. But they are the same food item.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 5:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Dressing is made outside of the bird. Stuffing is actually "Stuffed" in to the bird and cooked...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i think its the same it just depends where you are from...some folks refer to it as dressing and some folks refer to it as stuffing
    yearnforbaby

Answer by yearnforbaby at 6:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I guess what they said! ^
    Although I've always thought of it as one in the same. :/
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I always thought they were the same. In our family we refer to it as "ass stuffing" or pan stuffing meaning baked seperately. lol
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• In bird = stuffing
    out side of bird = dressing
    both the same
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• There IS a difference..

Dressing has eggs in it, which makes it a thicker more "casserole" like

Stuffing does not have eggs in it & is more crumbly & not at all compact or casserole-like, even when it is not stuffed and you don't bake it in an oven, you moisten the breadcrumbes with butter and stock.

They are different...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Stuffing is not baked in a casserole dish & has no eggs in it

I felt like my last post was worded weirf...
    samurai_chica

• To me, stuffing is bigger chunks of the bread, and it's kinda packed a little bit looser in the casserole dish (or the turkey if you actually stuff it). Dressing is usually made with finely crumbled cornbread, seasoning, butter, and chicken stock. it's more solid, or dense, unlike the stuffing. This is only from my personal experience. Growing up in the south, we still had "stuffing" and dressing and to us there was a difference. I still get requests for my cornbread dressing everywhere we have lived (military lol).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2010