Islam Question

Ok, I see many people say that homosexuality is condemned by the Qu'ran (I hope I spelled that right). What verses are you referring to? Do you read a translated version or the original?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 5:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Surah 27: Al Naml verses 24-58
    54. (WE also sent) Lut (Lot)
    (As a messenger): behold,
    He said to his people,
    "Do ye do what is shameful
    Though ye see (its iniquity)?

55. "Would ye really approach men
    In your lusts rather than
    Women? Nay, ye are
    A people (grossly) ignorant!"

56. But his people gave
    No other answer but this:
    They said, "Drive out
    The followers of Lut from
    Your city: these are
    Indeed men who want
    To be clean and pure!"

57. But WE saved him
    And his family. except
    His wife: her We destined
    To be of those
    Who lagged behind.

58. And WE rained down on them
    A shower (of brimstone):
    And evil was the shower
    On those who were admonished
    (But heeded not)!

Side note: The ignorance referred to here is spiritual ignorance of how grossness and sins that bring shame on their own moral nature
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 11:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Homosexuality in the Quran

Will ye commit abomination knowingly? Must ye needs lust after men instead of women ? Nay, but ye are folk who act senselessly.--27:54-55

Homosexual acts are condemned as unnatural. (Will ye commit abomination such as no creature ever did before you?) 7:80-81

Male homosexual activities are condemned as unnatural. 26:165-6

Male homosexuals commit abominations and act senselessly. 27:54-55

Male homosexuals acts are condemned as unnatural. 29:28-29
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• OP, actually we have looked at the original Hebrew and Greek words right here on this forum, but we are not all coming to the same conclusion. I feel that if you are saying that the interpretation of the historic Church and millions of people is wrong, the burden of proof is on you, not us.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• So despite the fact that the word for male on male sex, which would basically translate to homosexuality, is never used doesn't bother you? The fact that Paul decided to make up a word instead of using a known word doesn't bother you?

The Greek word ARSENOKOITAI is a combination of the words ARSEN = “male”; and KOITUS = “sexual copulation," which literally means “male sexual relations.”  I've heard some on Cafemom claim that Paul 'made it up' but ARSENOKOITAI but is found in classical Greek literature many years (centuries) before and after Paul used it: Revenue Laws of Ptolemy Philadelphus, Anthologia Palatina, Catalogus Codicum Astrologorum Graecorum, Sibylene Oracles, and Polycarp to the Philippians.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Did you know this is almost exact to the Bible?? My brother is a religious philosopher and says the two books are very much alike.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Conley - That is why I wanted this information since I know the Bible's verses that 'condemn homosexuality' are actually mistranslations. I am wanting to investigate this in the Qu'ran.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• How do you figure??? What makes you say that?
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You might do better to post in a group where there are more Muslim ladies. I only know a couple who come through here... I think what you're doing is interesting, but I do think you'd get more answers if you went somewhere where there was a chance of hearing from more Muslims - I'm not sure I trust nonMuslims to explain, especially since not many of us understand Arabic, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Conley - Look at the ancient Hebrew and Greek texts. The words used do not represent what would've been an equal to modern homosexuality.

Band - I understand, this was a starting point.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010