tested positive what will they do?

I tested positive for group b strep. I am having a c section. Will they still give me antibiotics in the hospital? If they don't does it just go away after baby is born? Any other info would help. Thanks.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 5:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• bumped :)
    spunktastic

Answer by spunktastic at 6:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• They give you antibiotics while you're in labor to prevent the spread to the baby. At least that's my understanding. I've never had it but my sister has and she said they just give you antibiotics. We were just talking about that today- a q-tip in the butt. lol
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I tested positive for group B Strep with all 5 of my pregnancies and had 5 very healthy full term babies. I was given antibiotics though an IV while I was in labor. During my 5 pregnancy I was concerned about her coming to fast before I could get the IV because each time I had a child it was quicker than the last. Two weeks before I was to deliver I was given oral antibiotics just in case, but I still has the IV.

It was no big deal, lots of women go though this when they are pregnant so you should be fine.

Here is a link with more info - http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html
    and
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=group+b+strep+pregnancy&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLS_enUS405US407&ie=UTF-8&aq=5&oq=group+b

Hope this helps :-)
    Anonymous5

Answer by Anonymous5 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I was postitive for group B when I had my son and havd IV drugs during labor. Since you are having a csection, I would think they would give you meds orally beforehand but Im not sure. Definitely ask your dr.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• They give antibiotics for vag births with G.B.S. But not with c0sections and yes it goes away :)
    MrsBaldwin

Answer by MrsBaldwin at 7:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010