How old is old enough for a sleep over?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 5:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• it depends on the parents, the child and where they'll be sleeping over. my best friend has a daughter the same age as mine (4) and we used to take eachother's kids overnight starting at 3. i know her very well and trust her, i couldn't find a reason to say no? she's a good mom and she's good to mine. she sleeps over at my mom's atleast once a month.

if it were a friend from school though, i'd have to get to know the parents. that would apply even if she were in her teens.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think it depends on both the parent and the child..I can't really give an age. Sorry, I'm no help. =[ Bumping for you!

-AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think that all depends on how well your child handles things. It could be as little as 6 but they would need to understand how it all works and the TALK about having people not touch them and such
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• To a friends house or family member?? After my DS was 1 he was allowed to sleepover with grandparents, and 3 when he could with other fam members, He is only 3 so idk maybe 8 or 9 for a friends house.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 5:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Good question!
    Depends on the kids, if they are comfortable. I'm avoiding it for as long as I can. I don't want the 3AM call to pick up my son. He's in grade 2. I'm thinking maybe end of grade 3 or 4.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i would say around 5 for a non family sleep over at someone elses home.. depending on how your family is i'd say 3 for a family sleepover. thats about how old my daughter was when she first spent the night at her gma's for the heck of it.
    spunktastic

Answer by spunktastic at 6:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• ok, Well I am probably gonna confuse you, but you know your child better than anyone, and it depends on if it is just girls or just boys, and to make sure you know the adults that will be there and I agree with the making sure no one touches them. However, when the kids are friends and parents are friends then, small children can view each other as boy/girl friend. And then decide that they are grown up and want to experiment... It has happened and will do so again. I have children of different ages and have worked with different children between church and scouting, its everywhere... Just make sure when you have the NO TOUCH, means other children as well as adults. Hope this helps...
    Tamara4210

Answer by Tamara4210 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Never too old for a sleepover!

tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I actually went to my first sleepover when I was in fifth grade.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• around 7 or 8 I'd say...a lot of times they will want to sleep over-then end up wanting to go home if they try too young...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010