To start or not?

My dd will miss the kindergarten cut-off by 33 days. I'm torn between having her start early or wait until she is 5.
If she starts when she is 4 (33 days shy of being 5 years old) she will be the youngest in the class. (Or one of).
If she starts at 5 she will almost be 6 and then the oldest in the class.

Has anyone had an experience w/this? Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

cheekycherub

Asked by cheekycherub at 6:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter will not be 5 until the end of December and I wanted her to start early because she already knows her numbers, letters and the sounds they make, she sounds out words and she does addition and subtraction. She also knows all the states and how to find them on a map. The reason I wanted her to start early is because I am concerned that she will become bored and not pay attention in class and then have problems. However, the pre school she attends says it is not a good thing for her start early because I am rushing her to get older.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not to start. Is it really an option to have her start if she misses the cut off? I would keep her at home for as long as possible. That extra year of having her at home or in preschool getting ready for kindergarten can be great. She will have an easier time being the oldest than the youngest.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• In our state if you miss the cut off, that' s it. You wait til next year. Its not a choice. That's why there's a cut off date.
    Anonymous

• My granddaughter missed the cut off by 9 days. She is the oldest in her class. She is on top of her class. It is much better to be ahead than be not quite there. My next granddaughter will miss it by 2 months and 10 days. I have custody of her and I am grateful that she will have the extra year to get ready.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i missed the cut by 4 days, and i honestly dont know what it would have been like if my mom got me into school early (she tried). i think its better to just wait so she isn't forced to grow up too fast
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm a december baby and my mother held me back....I was older than the other kids but I was able to handle the workload in my later schoolyears so much better....I was an honor student all through high school, college wasnt too hard for me either...aced nursing school.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Wait until next year.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I started at 4; I'm a november gal,and i always felt out of place because everyone was older than me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Where i am kids start K the year they turn 5, weather it be january or december, they seem to do fine(especially the girls)-Although we dont live in the states, and here kindergarten is still kindergarten, so no NCLB act to worry about pushing kids into things they arnt ready for...but, if she is eager to start, and knows all that preschool can teach her, then I'd go ahead. IF she is timid, small for her age, not used to a school setting, no preschool, then I'd have her wait the year.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If it were me, I would wait a year just to give her a little bit more emotional development. Just think how much she can learn on her own the next year and really be off to a running start when she goes to school.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010