When do you say enough?

Try to make this short and sweet. We adopted a puppy 2 1/2 years ago. Since we have adopted this $20 puppy we have put over $4,000 in him. He has needed a leg amputation, an eye removal, he has had an infected jaw, worms, mange (a treatment a week for 7 weeks at $40 a visit), had him fixed and the usual shots and preventitives. I love this dog with all my heart and so does my husband and children. Now, now! he an upper respiratory infection. My husband took him back to the vet today after a week of antibiotics and now they think he has cancer. OMG!!! I know I sound awful, but we live paycheck to paycheck and just don't have the money for these constant surgeries. So far my husband has liquidated assets to pay for the surgeries and treatments but I can't help but to wonder, how much longer can we do this. I love this dog with all my heart he is the best dog that I have ever had, never dreamt in a million years when we adopted him (I have adopted many many dogs) that this $20 dog would end up costing us over $4,000 two and half years later.

I love our Vet, he is very straight forward and tells us what is best to do for our animals not for his practice. I am scared to death that he is going to tell my husband tomorrow that it would be best to put him to sleep. My husband will be devastated. But I am also scared that he is going to say that the dog needs another $1000 surgery. I know my husband will do whatever he has to for dog.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Money aside, if your doggy ends up having cancer, donot let him suffer. You can do the most loving act of all, & not allow that to happen. My husband & I were in your shoes exactly. we adopted a lab from a local shelter & it was non-stop vet bills a month after we had him. He was the sweetest, most loving dog I have ever had, but he had psychological issues, & we found out later on, neurological issues. In the year that we had him we spent over $4,000 from our savings to try & help this poor dog. I wont go into detail about his medical problems; too long & detailed, but in the end there was nothing the vets could do for him. when it got to the point where he couldnt open his mouth to eat without yelping in pain, I knew the kindest thing we could do would be to put him to sleep, & allow him to be pain free. It broke our hearts. We had him cremated & his ashes are on our dresser. Google "Rainbow Bridge". It will help.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Honey it sounds like his 2 1/2 years have been pretty painful for him. I would say goodbye dear friend; and hold his paw while he is put gently and peacefully to sleep. IMO that's the humane thing to do. It really doesn't have anything to do with the money; the poor baby knows he has been loved; and he will go to sleep happy n that knowledge. It will tear you up; you will have a big hole in your heart for a while; but you will have the comfort of knowing that you did what you could; and you treated him with love and respect till the very end!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Who are you keeping this dog alive for, sorry but sounds like this dog has been through a lot and now cancer treatments. Those are really hard to go through and each surgery is harder too. Sometimes you need to love them enough to let them go quietly. Also please do not encourage back yard breeders by buying $20 dollar puppies. If no one buys them they will hopefully stop breeding.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 6:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• We adopted him from a shelter an hour and a half away. In a last ditch effort to adopt him out before they put him to sleep they put him on Craigslist. I found him, talked my husband into going to get him. My husband fell head over heels in love with the dog. The leg amputation came up after we had him for 3 days. I said put him to sleep and my husband said do the surgery. Shortly after that I fell in love with the dog. Believe it or not he has not he has only been in pain for a few months before the eye removal and that was due to pressure build up in the eye. He had had some kind of serious trauma before we got him, we knew he walked with a limp and figured it would be a $1200 surgery to break the leg and let it heal correctly, but the trauma was to bad to the leg. He amazed us that he did so well after the leg amputation. A year after the amputation the eye issue came up, they said they think whenever the impact from
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• WOW! I am really sorry that you, your family & your dog has had to go through So Much! I could not imagine my life without my dog Thumbelina; but- i know that she trust me to do whatever i could for her not to be in pain or have no quaility of life- If she was suffering or was going to suffer- i love her enough to let her be at peace- it sounds like your dog has been through So Much, maybe it is time to let him be at peace- You have went way & beyond to make sure he has had a good life- i would see what your vet says & let him help you make a decision- i hope everything turns out o.k. Wishing you lots of luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 6:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• the leg happened it detactched his retina which caused for him to get glaucoma, therefore he needed the eye removed. His eye was removed about six months ago. I have noticed his sinuses acting up and he was drooling like crazy. It kept getting worse but he was still his happy go luck self. Within the past few weeks he has been inactive. So I took him to the vet.

I know I can put my feelings asided and do whats best for him but my husband, I don't think he can do it. It will devastate him. My husband has had so much bad in his life, his first dog he had to put to sleep when she was six months old and now this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am so so sorry to hear this.... Honestly we had to put our golden down who was ten and they let us take him home spend the last few days with us until we put him down and we built him a fire and didnt leave his side then the next morning he got really bad and my parents took him in and put him down he was a amazing dog i wouldnt ask for a better one and it was so hard for my dad i had never seen him cry so much.... If he does have cancer that is what ours had then take about 24 hours spend every moment with him pretty much giving him whatever he wanted a soft bed to lay down one whatever you think he will like but that is if he is in alot of pain and you are going to put him down.... If not then spend alot of time spoiling him until the day he thinks its time to go.. U gave him a amazing home and i bet he loves you guys very much for that... really talk about what you guys want to do... I hope this helps Good luck!!!
    Navymommy1

Answer by Navymommy1 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Some people will do anything for their animals.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am sorry.
    Mena929

Answer by Mena929 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010