How do you handle sex scenes with children around?

If you happen to not know one is in a movie, and it catches you off guard? That happened to me today, and I kept trying to turn the channel, but my cable box was messing up so I kept trying to cover my sons eyes but he kept trying to see. lol And he did see...and now I feel like if I just would have not made a big deal about it he wouldn't have even noticed. But now he is associating what he saw with something bad, or wrong kwim? I know I'm probably overthinking it..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• i let them see and prepare to answer questions after and explain if you start when they are young they know and sometimes my kids just never asked.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well my DD is only 4 so we don't watch shows or movies with her around that have these kind of scene. We don't even watch Bones with her around.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 6:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• He's 4 too. And yes, I don't either. I'm talking about if it CATCHES YOU OFF GUARD. Did you not read the question?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I did read the question and my answer is I do not watch shows that have those kind of scenes in it with my DD around. Those are saved for after her bed or during nap. When my DD is around we either do not watch television at all she is only allowed 1 hr a day and that 1 hr is kids shows only or kids movies other than that I turn off the television and listen to music or nothing. In other words it just doesn't happen in my house.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 6:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't watch anything that might have anything like that in it when my kids are around. That way there's no chance for it to catch you off guard. I limited when the tv's on and only allow kid friendly shows until the kids are in bed.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree, I didn't watch anything that was rated above "G" around my kids when they were younger unless I'd already seen it, and knew that there would be nothing inappropriate for their age on......even tv shows. It's always safest to just stick with kid shows, and things you know are okay for their age level.

If your channel wouldn't change right, I think I would have hit the off button.

If this is the worst thing that happens though....don't feel too bad, we all do things we regret, you don't say how old your son is, but I'm sure he'll be okay. If he makes any remarks or asks questions answer him honestly and appropriately for his age, or just tell him that was grown up behavior, and it's okay for grown ups, but not for kids.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't do anything.  My kids either didn't notice or would turn away themselves.  Now I warn them that "kissy parts" are coming up and my older kids (10, 9 and 8) cover their eyes because they don't want to see any kind of kissing (they even cover their eyes and make a big deal when me and my husband kiss, lol).  My 4yo, though, is a hopeless romantic and comes running if I mention kissy scenes.  If it's a full on sex scene I distract her by asking her to go get me something, lol.  Otherwise we don't really censor what our kids watch.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• We don't do anything. If they don't want to see it (they are 3 & 4, so they really don't care) they can cover their eyes... But I don't see any reason to make a big deal out of it... My DH and I don't hide our affections, they are around love all the time - of course we don't have sex in front of them, but just about anything else... So why would I hide them from anyone elses affections? Beyond making sure it's not straight up porn, we don't censor anything they see.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• it wouldn't happen, all shows have ratings now days. If it is above G it doesnt get watched while my son is awake. But i agree that if you hadnt made a big deal about it your son wouldnt have even known what was going on or you could have simply asked him to go get something in another room and then turned the non kid friendy show off
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010