If you agree "what-ever it takes to guard against terrorist"..

If you support the body scanners at the airports...
Where is the line drawn?
Is it OK to be scanned before going into the mall? School? other public transportation?
What about putting more cameras in our strees? Our Cars?

So very slowly the goverment seems to be in our lives & its all for safety I remember getting cameras in school buses. we dont think anything about it today, but it was odd when it started knowing a camera was watching us on the bus. The cameras in our school. our malls. all stores. Red Light cameras.
Its very hard to go outside my home without some sort of camera watching my every move!
(love the video below .30 seconds long)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't agree that we should do "whatever it takes to guard against terrorists" if it means taking rights away from americans or goes against the constitution. I don't agree with forcing everyone that flys to have either a full body scan or have to have a pat down body search. I don't believe in the scans because I'm afraid of the health risks and I feel that pat downs are violating. If stopping one possible terrorist means giving 100,000 people cancer from being scanned too many times is it really worth it? Don't the terrorist's actually win then? They wanted to hurt Americans and if that is the case they did
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty, nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

I'm cool with red light cameras because they aren't doing anything a police officer doesn't have the right or ability to do, and they free up police time while creating revenue, and all you have to do to avoid being caught on one is obey the law, breaking the law is not a liberty interest. On the other hand privacy and traveling are liberty interests, and if you can't look in my car without probable cause, you sure as hell can't look up my dress.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 7:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• They're not asking us to do scannings in the malls, etc... so I'm not going to offer my opinion on such unless it actually happens. As for an airplane however when we are thousands of miles up in the air and the only people we have to rely on are the people on the plane with us then I say let's do whatever is necessary to keep us safe.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Drat, annabellelee, you posted the very quote I was going to! :-)
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am ok with upped-security. Someone sticking their hands in my pants to see if I slipped anything in there though.. THAT bothers me. And I have read examples of that on the news here lately.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 6:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't plan on committing a crime, so I am OK with the increased security.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 6:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Point here is, there is no reason to do the pat downs and who knows if that is what would work? I think they need to get it in gear in the intel department so we don't have to worry about who gets on the planes.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm not ok with big brother butting into my everyday life and now my genitals in the name of a false sense of security. They are either extremely incompetent or just want to strip us of our freedoms. Either way, I'm not ok with any of it.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 7:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I asked this very same question .... and couldn't get a straight answer. They'd rather not look beyond what is immediately in front of them.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010