Ideas for packing cold lunches...

My husband works outside, so packing anything he has to warm up for lunch is out of the questions. But ~ he gets kind of picky when it comes to cold lunches... He is not much of a lunch meat person, but doesn't have a huge choice. He doesn't like cold roast beef sandwiches, doesn't like sweet bologna. I get ham and turkey most of the time, but he is getting tired of that. I make him tuna salad sometimes or get chicken salad. Other than salad, is there anything else you would suggest?? Thanks!

jekrmom

Asked by jekrmom at 6:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Use different kinds of breads, and rolls, even croissants are good for a change. At my local grocery-in the bakery dept, even if they have them packaged in 6 or 8, if I ask, they will package them in one or two in a package, or mix them up in a variety pack. Try using different kinds of mustard if he likes that, or mix mayo and mustard together. I get just a couple slices of different meats and cheeses at the deli-they'll give you any amount you want. Sometimes I make it like a hoagie sandwich. I pack the lettuce and tomato in separate baggies and dressing in to go pouches that can be purchased individually in the deli dept. (often they give them to me for free when I'm buying meat there). A thermos is great for soup and chili. Send crackers along. There's also a short, wide mouth thermos (that is hard to find-I found one in a hardware store) that you can send leftover beef stew or some casseroles or baked beans with a hot dog
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Make ham salad or turkey salad, just like you would chicken salad. Does he like cold fried chicken? How about when you cook chicken breasts, cook an extra one, and make that into a sandwich for him the next day.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Great ideas ~ thanks!!!
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• How about getting a Thermos and packing something hot? I do that for my son. He doesn't like sandwiches too much so I pack a lot of different things in a Thermos.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have a huge list of bagged lunches that I have collected over the years. Send me a message if you would like a copy

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• definitely get a food thermos - then you can heat up soup, leftovers, anything hot, put it in there, and it will still be warm at lunch time. then you can alternate between hot foods and cold sandwiches.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 7:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I make chicken salad but I use mayo, onions, chopped fresh jalepenos and cilantro to make it interesting and then put in a tortilla with lettuce. You could also try some summer sausage with chs and crackers. Does he like salads? You could also make pasta sald
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• peanut butter & jelly :)

Also - a thermos with soup or chili will stay warm until lunch. you can even put leftovers in it - like stuff he would eat with a fork.

We also sometimes do cheese & crackers with fruit and yogurt.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Trick to using a thermos - pre-heat it before you put the food in. Fill it with boiling water, let it sit about 5 minutes, then dump the water out, dry it, and then put the food in. It will stay a lot warmer that way because the heat from the food won't go to warming up the insulating layer. (same works in reverse to keep things really cold - put the open thermos in the freezer for a half hour before you use it).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Frozen yogurt is big at my house. carrot sticks with ranch, homemade trail mix..(almonds, m&ms, raisins, dried fruit, sunflower seeds), chips, pie slice in a plastic container, cold turkey sandwich, BLT,cheese n crackers,slice up an apple and put in a twist top container with a little water with the apples to keep them from turning brown. Orange, banana bread. Tossed salad with ranch on the side. I pack one of those freezer bags at the bottom of his lunch box or he uses a cooler.

My husband works outside too and will sometimes take left overs like lasagna or whatever and put it in a microwave safe container and go to like Quick Trip or 7/11 and use their microwave and get a fresh ice cold drink.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2010