Baby food and bottle feeding...

Gauge is starting on baby food and I've been giving it to him 2 times a day, between feedings (he eats every 4hrs so 2hrs after he eats a bottle) and I only give him what he will eat.
He seems to be catching on to it quite well.
I'm wondering when you're suppose to make the baby food an actual meal. I read somewhere to make one feeding time just baby food but still give him a bottle...just kindda show him that the food will be his new meal and the bottle is the snack.
How and when do I start doing that?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter just turned 5 months old, and we give her baby food once a day right now, for lunch. Each baby food contains about 2-2 1/2 ounces of food, so we give her the food and 4 ounces of milk, since she usually takes 6 ounces at each feeding. Our doctor recommended starting the food once a day until she gets the hang of eating with a spoon, and gradually work in the food for dinner as well. At each meal, I would still give him at least a couple of ounces of formula, so he gets his water and vitamins! Hope this helps, I'm new at this too!
    CamrynClaire08

Answer by CamrynClaire08 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Hello :). I am new at this but at my guys 6 month check up the dr said between 6 to 9 months we start to move him from bottle for all meals to baby food three times a day and bottles in between.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 11:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Your baby is three months old. He does not need baby food. His digestive system isn't even fully developed. What's the rush?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• He's actually a few days shy of 4 months and his doctor said that I could try baby food. He's doing great with it.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 9:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Dr's always push food at 4 months and it is too soon. PLUS you are suppossed to feed with formula and/or boob and then give food.

6 months exclusively FF or boob....Food should not be a meal yet-too soon-no matter "how great he is doing w/ it".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I asked WHEN I should start trying to use the food as meal- not that I was already doing that. Please read the question properly.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 3:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008